Chapter 54 : Promises

•30 July 2021•
Friday

"He'll protect me. He promised me that night." Her voice was calm, as if she hasn't just narrated her life changing event to the 7 boys in the room, as if she didn't suffer a panic attack a few minutes ago.

Her head rested on Jimin's lap as his fingers, though small but comforting, slided between her golden brown locks massaging her scalp, the act playing a role to help her maintain a calm expression.

As planned, they all gathered in her room to hear out whatever she has to say, whatever she has to express. However, midway through her talk she suddenly stopped speaking and clutched her hair, her body visibly shaking as sweat beads became prominent on her forehead, the colour of her face slightly losing its colour as if a drop of white had just been added to it to tone down the shade. It didn't take the boys a second to realise what was happening.

Jimin, who was sitting right beside her on the bed, wasted no time in pulling her dazed form to himself as his arms securely found their place around her to embrace the girl. Soon after Taehyung returned with a glass of water, bringing it near her lips to hydrate her. She was gradually made to lay down on Jimin's lap, who now did his duty to ease her stiff body using different methods.

He always used to do this to Taehyung.

Now, as her breathings came back to a normal rate and she found her voice again, the room fell into a deafening silence for her to continue. They didn't want to rush her into things and were ready to end the talk as soon as she gave them a sign too. Her health was more important than their need to know her past.

"Woo made me run away from there as soon as Donghyun left. I don't know how but he helped me escape and promised to join me soon." Her eyes closed, remembering the words he said to her before pushing her out of the unknown place.

"You'll run without looking back Jae. You got me?" He cupped her sister's puffy cheeks and his thumbs brushed away that tears flowed down her eyes, only for the new one's to take their place

"I can't leave you alone! They'll... They'll hurt you."

"They won't princess. I promise I'll join you home soon. You have to stay safe for me, hmm?"

She could never forget how his eyes looked at her that day, trying to take in even the slightest of her features as if he knew he won't be coming back to her. Whom is she kidding? Obviously he knew what would happen once members of Slander would find out that she ran away.

Slander. The gang that caused the unexpected tragedies in her life, the name responsible for shattering the fragile glass that she held closest to her heart, the fragile glass that she came to call family.

A single tear fell down her clutched eyes, rolling all the way from her face to right below her ear before landing on Jimin's leg. His fingers stopped tracing patters on her scalp and they now untangled themselves from her locks and gently rested on her arm, his hands rubbing it as a sign of comfort.

Her story, which she described with as much details as she could, was tragic and something a girl as young as 12 year should never have suffered from. The boys looked at her blank face, not a single emotion displayed over the relaxed and calm features and if it weren't for the red eyes that were home to tears which flowed down her cheeks, none would know the pain she felt.

Hoseok felt almost guilty for making Eunjae revisit all those moments that she must want to forget, for making her go through the pain of losing her once happy life all over again. It clenched his heart to see her, his sunshine partner, lying there in desolation. His body worked on its own, taking in the orders from his mind that he now had no control over, and he slowly took a seat beside her, who's head still rested on the lap of one of her brothers.