~67~

Brighid was mid sleep when a knock on her bedroom door startled her.

"Brighid" Nathan whispered shaking her body to wake up.

"Can't it wait til I don't know the sunrises?" Brighid asked half asleep. Nathan kept nudging her.

"Brig it's mom. She called me" Nathan whispered once more. Brighid shot up from her bed.

"Come on" Nathan said. Brighid looked around her room for decent clothes before following Nathan out of the house. The two quietly pulled out of the driveway and off down the highway watching the sunrise on their drive to this secret location.

"You sure this is where she said?" Brighid asked as they pulled up to a shady motel. It was rundown and far from the glamorous lifestyle Deb was use to.

"Yeah. I mean I think. It was kind of cryptic the phone call but I think I have it right" Nathan said shutting his car down. The two walked down the strip of doors, stopping at number 11.

Nathan hesitant knocked on the door before taking a step back. The door cracked open and a hand waved them in.

Brighid and Nathan slowly walked in with Deb shutting the door behind them.

"Hi" Deb said hugging her two children.

"Mom, this is pretty weird" Brighid said looking around at the gross room.

"Yeah I agree. Brighid gets the note and then I get a cryptic phone call. What's going on?" Nathan asked.

"Uh, sit down you two" Deb said pointing to the bed. Brighid made a disgusted face not wanting to sit down on anything.

Nathan nudged her to stop and the two proceeded to sit down on the edge of the bed.

"Nathan, Brighid. Over the years since I met your father, I've changed. And somewhere along the line I became a person I don't respect.

"Mom what are you-"

"Let me finish Nate. As far back as I can remember I've had to rely on others. I've never been able to be alone. I've never been really strong.... but now it's time for me to try. I have to. Brighid, Nathan I'm not going back to Tree Hill" Deb continued.

"So you're just going to abandon us?" Brighid asked all mad. She jumped up from the bed trying to process the words her mom just said.

"So where are you going?" Nathan asked.

"I'm not sure yet" Deb answered.

"Mom I can't just drop everything and move away" Brighid said pacing.

"I know that. That's why I am not asking you to. Either of you. Nathan you have a wife and Brighid you have a daughter and boy to reconcile with.

A knock came from the door and Deb jumped up.

"Housekeeping"

"I'm fine" Deb called back.

"Mom why are you so spooked?" Nathan asked noticing her behavior.

"The fire at the dealer... it wasn't an accident you two" Deb began. Nathan and Brighid exchanged looks of confusion.

"I did it. I tried to kill him"

Deb placed a hand on both of her kids shoulders but both pulled away.

"No" Nathan said.

"Hear me out Nate" Deb cried. Nathan rushed to the door.

"You didn't have the courage to leave him but you had the courage to kill him? Nathan asked all upset. Brighid bit her lip following Nathan out of the motel room. Nathan sat on the hood of his car contemplating what had just taken place.

"You okay?" Brighid asked but Nate didn't answer.

Deb came out her arms wrapped around her chest.

"You know when I was 13 dad took us to the hawks game. Front row seats. We were one big happy family back then. But now I'm realizing you were never happy mom" Nathan commented.

"He's a bad Nate. You have to believe me" Deb argued.

"The trip to Disney? Was that all fake happiness too?" Brighid asked reflecting on fun, family times.

"Come on you two"

"Let's go" Nathan muttered. Brighid gave her mother a hug before slipping into the passenger seat. Nathan quickly pulled out of parking lot heading back home.

The two riding back to Tree Hill in silence.