~30~

The following evening Dan had Brighid practicing her free throw stance on the back porch.

"Set, shoot, again! Set, shoot! Brig come on stronger stance" Dan shouted as they repeated this drill for the hundredth time. He was sitting at table on the porch sipping whiskey while watching Brighid.

"It looks good to me" Nate interrupted as he walked up the steps with his hands in his varsity jacket pocket.

"Nate, about to cook dinner will you be joining us?" Dan asked instantly changing his tone to something far more cheerful.

"I just came to talk" Nate said giving a smile to Brighid.

"You want a drink?" Dan asked with a smirk while raising his glass.

"Since when do you let me drink?" Nate asked coldly. Brighid could tell he wasn't in the mood for their dad's games.

"You're old enough" Dan replied back.

"Look dad-" Nathan began before Dan cut him off.

"I know things haven't been easy on you, Nate. To be honest when you told us it's you who gets to choose who you're staying with I was relieved"

"You were?" Nate questioned.

"Absolutely, because you're a smart kid and you know what's best for you"

"Yeah and that's why I can't-" Nate began again but Dan was quick to cut him off.

"You know I've been there for you for your whole life. Your sister's as well. And I admits sometimes too much for the both of you. But it's only because I care about you guys" Dan explained giving a saga like sad story to the two of them. Nathan looked pissed off while Brighid stood to the side quiet.

"You know I'm glad your making this choice because I would hate to see your mother lose in court. The stuff they could dig up on her, she'd be deemed an unfit mother" Dan said while sipping on his drink. Brighid furrowed her eyebrows at that comment.

"What did mom do?" Nathan asked.

"Go live with her and find out" Dan said before sipping the last of his drink. "Prep again" Dan called our returning to drilling Brighid on her stance. Nathan sighed before leaving the beach house.

"Brig you want to grab something?" Nate asked turning on his heel to face her. She looked at Dan who didn't look pleased before turning back to Nathan.

"Let me go grab my jacket" Brighid called back running inside and throwing on her varsity jacket before running past her dad.

"See you" Brighid called out waving goodbye to her dad who looked stunned.

"So where to?" Brighid asked.

"I know a spot" Nathan said. The two slipped into his car before speeding off down the road.

"So you're staying with mom" Brighid said breaking the silence.

"I was... now I'm not sure... how's living with dad been?"

"Fine. It's just basketball 24/7 but that's not anything new"

"You know don't let him boss you around. Speak up" Nathan said. Brighid looked at Nathan with a crazed look.

"Are we talking about the same person. If I stand up to dad I'd only be punished more"

"Well, just think about it" Nathan said as he parked in a spot in front of Karen's cafe.

"Nathan what are we doing here?"

"Grabbing a bite come on" Nathan said with a smile running into the cafe. Brighid stood outside hesitantly before following Nathan in.

"Hey sit anywhere I'll be right there to serve you" Haley greeted as Brighid walked in. Nathan and her kissed before slipping into a booth.

"So that's Haley?" Brighid asked in a whisper.

"She's really nice" Nathan whispered back.

"Two cheeseburgers and fries" Haley said a few minutes later dropping off the plates. They both thanked her before digging in.

"I've been here before, like before the accident" Brighid muttered.

"You remember?" Nathan asked shocked. Brighid shook her head no.

"It was a picture of me and Jake Jagielski in here which is strange, like completely out of this world. I don't even know know him. Like he plays basketball right?" Brighid asked.

"Yeah something like that" Nathan answered. The two finished eating. Afterwards Brighid awkwardly hung around while Nathan and Haley talked.