~84~

One week since the attack and Brighid was still traumatized to say the least. Never leaving the house without Jake or Nathan and since Jake was studying for his finals she was mostly clinging to Nate.

Brighid, Haley and Nathan walked into the cafe after getting a call from skills.

"Mouth needs our help" Skills explained showing them the text.

"Need ass?" Haley questioned.

"We think assistance" Lucas said.

"I'll go look up Honey Grove" Haley said walking to the computer in the back. Brighid followed after her giving Nathan some space.

"So how's B?" Skills asked Nathan.

"Like a scared puppy. I can't go anywhere without her following which I don't mind but I feel for her you know" Nathan said. The bell chimed and in walked Brooke and Peyton.

"Is mouth okay?" Brooke asked.

"He needs help" Skills said showing the text.

"Need ass. Why would he need ass he is with Rachel" Brooke said. The guys moaned repeating "assistance" for the fourth time.

"So bad news. Honey grove is 90 miles out of Dallas. So it's like a 20 hour car ride"

"So we take a trip. Go get him" Lucas said.

"Fun roadtrip before school ends" Haley continued.

"Great it's settled" Nathan said.

"I'll just tell-"

"Brighid. There's not enough room to bring Mouth back if you come. You need to be strong and regain your life back. No fear" Nathan said. Brighid looked at him with sad eyes. She wasn't capable of being strong or at least she thought.

Later that day Brighid and Deb waved Haley and Nathan goodbye from the front door. Once they were out of sight Deb smiled at Brighid.

"I have something planned for us" she said grabbing her purse and her car keys. Brighid unaware of where they were heading jumped in the car expecting anything from her mother.

"The shooting range?" Brighid questioned as they pulled into the parking lot.

"You need to learn how to defend yourself. There will come a time and you can do it. I know you can" Deb said giving Brighid a weak smile. The two walked into the building and into one of the lanes. With her headphones and goggles on Brighid aimed the gun at the target's head. She pressed the trigger feeling liberated the moment the gun went off.

"How did that feel?" Deb asked.

"Liberating" Brighid muttered before pulling the trigger again.

"So I know prom didn't go as planned and since high school is only for a few more days I was thinking I could watch Jenny while you and Jake go out?" Deb proposed. Brighid looked at her mother. It wasn't often her parents mentioned their grandchild let alone offer to watch her.

"I think that's great mom. Really!" Brighid said giving her a hug.

"Great but listen I'm not a grandmother, I won't be called it by anyone. I'm too young for that" Deb said. Brighid laughed. "I'm serious Brig"

"Fine, fine" Brighid said trying not to piss off her mother.
———
"So what's Jenny doing right now you think?" Brighid asked Jake as they walked down by the river.

"Geez you convince me to leave her with your mother and now you ask me? She's fine Brig" Jake said making Brighid sigh.

"You're right.... so you looking forward to California? The apartment I found looks nice"

"I can tell your anxious. This will work. We will be fine" Jake said reassuring. She smiled needing to here that.

"Well well. If it isn't my daughter. Jake" Dan said. He was walking with Karen which Brighid found slightly odd.

"Karen, Dad" Brighid greeted.

"Look I wanted to offer a peace offering to you two. Dinner tomorrow night at my house. You can bring Jenny. I want to make amends before you go off to college" Dan said.

Brighid looked at Jake extremely apprehensive. She and her dad haven't been on the best of terms.

"We would love that Mr. Scott" Jake said making Brighid give him a look.

"Great beach house at 6" Dan said. The two continued walking the opposite direction as Dan and Karen.

"Why did you agree?"

"Cause he's your dad. Make amends before you leave for college. You know it, it's the time to do it" Jake said. Brighid looked out at the river. Jake was right, regrets would follow the moment she left Tree Hill. She didn't want that.

"Okay. Dinner tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it" Brighid muttered. Jake kissed her on the top of her head as they continued to walk down the pier.