~81~

A few weeks had passed and Brighid was finally free of all her casts. She was only required to wear a boot for one more week.

She walked into English sitting down in her normal seat next to Lucas.

"So let's begin. Mouth how would you describe yourself"

"Awesome" Mouth said. Lucas cheered him on and the class agreed.

"Okay. Let's say their are five universal terms that describe everyone in high school. Prom Queen, Jock, Loner, Geek and-"

"Slut" Brooke shouted.

"Well let's just say friendly" the teacher countered. "Shelly Simon, describe Mouth using one of these five universal terms"

Shelly sat their silently for a minute.

"I guess geek" she said. Mouth's smile faded slightly.

"Me too mouth. Okay Nathan class"

"Jock"

"And Lucas"

"Jock" everyone answered.

"Brooke"

"Prom Queen"

"Peyton"

"Prom Queen"

"Woah I am so a loner" Peyton argued.

"A loner who's dating the basketball captain and is a cheerleader? No offense but I'm a loner, you're a prom queen"

"Rachel"

"Friendly"

"And Brighid? How do categorize her? Geek because she's jumped a grade? Prom Queen because she's popular? Jock because she's a basketball player? Soon these titles won't matter because your going out into the big world" the teacher explained.

"Haley what's Lucas' middle name?" The teacher asked.

"Eugene" Haley answered without thinking. She turned towards Lucas apologizing profusely.

"Lucas what's Glenda's last name?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry" Lucas answered embarrassed.

"Okay this half of the class write your name on a paper and then place it into Nathan's hat. The other side will pick a piece of paper.

Brighid quickly wrote down her name and placed it in the hat that was being passed around. Once the hat was full people began picking names out of the hat.

"I have Brighid" Skills announced with a smile.

"Okay everyone can leave the classroom but not the campus. Take a camera with you to take a picture of you and your partner. This picture represents how you seem them"

Skills and Brighid walked out of the class together.

"So something personal. B dawg you first"

Brighid and Skills headed to the top of the school, a secret rooftop patio.

"That's hard seeing most of the stuff in my life is always aired to the public"

"It can be little" Skills said.

"My dad would say I was never good enough. Never as good as Nathan. So I figured the only way to beat him was academically. So I skipped a grade level in hopes of my parents paying more attention to me. I threw myself into my studies that year. Worked my ass off for what?"

"That's a huge accomplishment"

"Got me nothing. Disappointed them anyways when I got pregnant and quit basketball"

"You see that factory out there. My dad has worked there since he graduated Tree Hill. Six days a week on second shift. There's a job waiting on me in that place... if I don't get a scholarship to college"

"Skills I'm sure you'll get that scholarship"

"Okay next is to admit something that worries you or something you're afraid of" Brighid read out loud. "You're first skills"

"I'm afraid that I'll never amount to anything" Skills said. Brighid looked at him. "Stuck at the factory like my dad"

"I'm afraid I have caused Jake to miss out on life. I'm afraid Jenny will grow up to resent me. I'm afraid of a lot of things. What if basketball was all for nothing? No career, just one day poof, done?"

"I think you have an amazing career ahead of you" Skills said. There was a moment of silence before skills read out the next thing. "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

"Realistically? Stuck in Tree Hill living the life as my dad. I just have this feeling I'm destined to stay forever. You know people don't know but my mom overdosed on pills a couple of days ago. She's in the hospital. It's like she doesn't care about me or Nate anymore and it's just so frustrating. That's why I have my hypothetical dream of playing pro basketball, making a name for myself, giving Jenny and Jake the life they deserve"

"Sorry about your mom. In ten years I'd be happy just playing. You know, people think playing pro is only NBA. I'd be happy playing overseas" Skills said. Brighid tried to choke back her tears.

"The last thing is to tell your partner a secret" Brighid muttered. She thought long and hard about the secret she wanted to share.

"Well I have a secret and it's going to do some damage" Skills said as he pulled out a letter. "It's my scholarship offer... or not. I mean, I haven't had the courage to open it yet. I was wondering if you would"

"Really? Are you sure?" Brighid asked grabbing the letter. Skills shook his head yes.

"Well okay" Brighid said. She slowly opened it and read the letter before placing it back into the envelope. "Looks like you're going to that factory... and you're telling your dad you got a full ride" Brighid said. Skills smiled from ear to ear.

"Girl that's messed up! Now tell me yours" Skills said. It got quiet.

"I could lie and say that my secret is I wish I had better parents. That they would step it up and be the grandparents I know they could be to Jenny but who am I kidding it's no secret. My real secret is and I know this sounds crazy but I saw Keith. After the hit and run. It was like a dream, a really realistic dream and he kept telling me to open my eyes from the day of the shooting. I just don't know what that means" Brighid explained.

"Maybe he wants you to think about what happened. Why it all took place. But don't dwell on it Scott it's not worth it" Skills said. She shook her head and grabbed the camera. The two snapped photos of each other.

Once the bell rang the two grabbed their bags and made their way out to the parking lot.

"Congrats again on the full ride"

"Thanks B Scott." skills said as Jake walked up to Brighid the two walked to her car before driving to the daycare to pick Jenny up.