~52~

Brighid after school walked up to Nathan's apartment to go check on him. She had heard Haley left town with Chris to go on tour. Brighid also knew Nathan was going to be hurt and wanted to make sure he was holding up as best as he could.

She knocked on the door and paced outside on the patio. The door clicked unlock and Nathan opened the door.

"Can I come in?" Brighid asked.

"Actually Brighid. Now is not really a good time" Nathan muttered. Brighid peeked in to find food and drinks littering the floor. Nathan looked liked he hadn't showered in days.

"Nate come on. I'll play so video games with you. No questions asked" Brighid pleaded.

"Brighid just leave" Nathan muttered once more closing the door on her face. She sighed knowing Nathan was far worse than she had originally thought.

She headed back home. Her mother cooked a family dinner, for the four of them. Brighid thought it was slightly awkward to have Lucas joining them and living under the same roof.

"So how was school?" Deb asked.

"Good" Brighid mumbled spooning the food on her plate into her mouth.

"Lucas?" Deb asked trying to be civilized.

"Fine" Lucas muttered. Dan cleared his throat ready to say something when a car engine caught their attention. Brighid recognizing the old engine sound stood up from her seat and sprinted out the front door. Nathan was sitting on the hood of his car.

Lucas was standing on the porch hesitant of moving any closer.

"Had to see it for myself. The big ole happy Scott family" Nathan sassed.

"Nathan come on. Don't be like that" Brighid countered.

"You know it's your fault I'm in this mess" Nathan shouted all mad.

"Me?" Brighid questioned.

"If you weren't so selfish and foolish I wouldn't have been in this mess. I would be playing basketball and Dad would be riding me about it. Lucas wouldn't be a problem and I would have never met Haley. Life would be normal!" Nathan snapped.

"Hey come on man. It's not her fault" Lucas spoke out.

"Shut up. You're just as much to blame. You both ruined my life" Nathan stated pissed. He kicked his tire before hopping into the driver seat and pulling away.

Just as the car turned out of the driveway Deb came running out.

"What did he want?" Deb asked wiping her hands on a dish towel.

"Forget about Nathan mom" Brighid muttered under her breath pushing past her and inside where she climbed the stairs to her room.
———
Nathan hadn't shown up to school in days and while Brighid was worried she knew not to intervene. She sat in science jotting down notes when Nathan walked in. A small smile appeared on Brighid's face.

"Mr. Scott nice of you to join us" the teacher said. Nathan ignored her sitting down in his seat. He pulled out a beer and began to drink it.

"Nathan" Brighid whispered trying to grab the cab from him.

"Mr. Scott is that beer?" The teacher asked appalled.

"Malt liquor actually. Brought one for you too" he said holding out the extra as he sipped the can.

"The principal's office now!"

"You know if teachers wore slutty skirts like you. Attendance would skyrocket here" Nathan commented. The whole room got quiet.

"Principal Turner will love that. Leave!" She said all mad pointing to the door. Nathan grabbed his things, slinging the backpack over his shoulder.

Brighid watched as Nathan just walked out. The class whispered amongst themselves while Brighid just sat there embarrassed.

"Okay settle down. Let's continue" the teacher announced trying to quiet the class. Brighid sunk into her seat fighting the desire to get up and leave.