~75~

"Pregnant? I'm sure it's a mistake" Haley said.

"Doctors don't screw things up like that"  Brighid responded. She paced around the room, biting her finger nail. "What am I going to tell Jake? He's going to think I trapped him before college with another kid. I still need my basketball scholarship to get out of this hell hole. Ugh, how did this happen again.  We were so careful-" Brighid rambled on.

"I was positive I was pregnant. I almost told Nathan after the wedding but then you know the whole Cooper and Rachel thing happened" Haley said. Brighid stopped and looked at Haley.

"Did you want the baby?" Brighid asked Haley. She looked up at Brighid with sorrowful eyes. It was a hard question for either to ask and answer. Brighid knew that she wasn't ready for a second child. Too young, too naive, still navigating raising Jenny. Plus she doubted her and Jake's relationship could handle it. She wanted to go to college, make a name for herself, for Jenny and for Jake. This baby was going to halt all of that, leaving her stuck in Tree Hill with no future.

Brighid looked up at Haley waiting for a response. "Yes. Maybe. Not really. I don't know. I love Nathan but it's not really a great time, you know bringing a kid into the world. I need to graduate high school, go to college, get a job. It's a relief but I'm sad too" Haley said. Brighid immediately began to cry "...No offense" Haley said trying to comfort Brighid.

Brighid quickly wiped her tears before letting out a big sigh, falling back onto their couch.

Suddenly the front door swung open and in walked Nate.

"Hey, what's going on?" Nathan asked dropping off a couple of bags on the counter full of groceries.

"Just came over to talk to Haley. How's Coop?" Brighid asked. On cue the phone rang and Nathan picked it up. The phone call was extremely brief.

"He's awake"

"Oh that's great" Haley said placing her hand on top of Nathan's.

"Want lunch Brig?" Nathan asked pulling out a loaf of bread and cold cuts.

"Actually. I'm going to the hospital to see Coop. I'll talk to you guys later" she said grabbing her car keys and heading out the door. She hopped into the car and headed to Tree Hill Hospital.

Brighid took a deep breath before walking into Cooper's room.

"Hey" she awkwardly said while giving a weak smile. His attention turned away from the window and towards Brighid.

"Hey. How are you?" Cooper asked. Brighid pulled a chair up next to his bed.

"Not okay" Brighid said holding back her tears. Cooper straightened himself up in the hospital bed. "I'm pregnant, again. How could I be so dumb" Brighid cried out. Cooper's hand gripped Brighid's.

"You're not dumb. Maybe irresponsible" Cooper joked but sensed quickly Brighid wasn't in the mood. "You need to tell him" Cooper said seeing the look on Brighid's face that said was scared to tell Jake.

"Please. Don't tell Nathan or my mom. I have to tell Jake first and I honestly don't know when that will be. I need to muster up some courage first or just run away to a deserted island" Brighid sniffled.

"Don't worry, I'm leaving. Your secrets safe with me" Cooper said giving Brighid a smile. She smiled back wiping away the tears.
———
The next morning Brighid walked into the hospital room to find the bed empty.

Following a few steps behind her was Rachel.

"Cooper" she spoke out before realizing it wasn't Cooper. "Brighid"

"Cooper's gone" Brighid said drifting her attention away from the empty bed.

"You mean released" Rachel joked. Brighid remained serious.

"Gone from Tree Hill, Rachel"

"Look I'm sorry-"

"I really don't need your apology Rachel. I think Nathan and Haley deserve one though" Brighid muttered before walking out of the hospital.

She drove back to her house to get ready. She had the start of playoffs tonight which were her main priority. After all this could be the start of a new future she so desperately needed.

As she tied her hair back into a pony tail and knock came from her doorway. Standing in it was Jenny and Jake looking happy.

"Hey" Brighid exclaimed getting up from her seat. She placed kisses on Jenny's lips before giving Jake a kiss.

"Just wanted to come and wish you luck. We will be cheering you on" Jake said proudly. Brighid instantly felt guilty holding this secret from him.

"Thanks"

"Well we will let you finish getting ready. See you later" Jake stated before leaving the house with Jenny. Brighid huffed falling face first into her bed. She screamed into her pillow before recollecting herself and heading out the door.