~98~

A week had passed. Brighid was finally healing, Jake had finally let go of being overprotective with each step she took and everyone was beginning to heal from the loss of Q.

"Jenny, school" Brighid called from the kitchen as she packed her lunch. The little girl came running down the stairs. "Nanny Deb will be here any minute. Grab your bag"

"So how'd the visit go?" Brighid asked Jake.

"Good. My parents were excited to see her. Oh, and I got a call this morning"

"A call? Or the call?" Brighid asked as the front door opened.

"Hello?" Deb called out. Jenny ran out of the kitchen, her bag flapping against her back.

"I'm the kitchen" Brighid called out. Deb walked in with Jenny following her.

"Good morning. Are we ready?" Deb asked Jenny. Jenny shook her head yes showing her the drawing she had done this morning after breakfast.

"Thank you for doing this. We really appreciate it" Brighid said to her mother, with a sincere smile. Deb smiled back before saying goodbye to the two and taking Jenny off to school. Jake who had snuck a piece of bacon off the tray, smiled at Brighid.

"The call. This could be great for us! I mean with twins on the way we need this raise" Jake expressed, placing a hand on Brighid's slightly swollen looking stomach.

"So? Details. I want details" Brighid said with her eyebrow raised. She sat in the seat munching on the leftovers of Jenny's lunch.

"Co-coach of the Charlotte Hornets" Jake cheerfully explained. Brighid smiled, but underneath the smile was concern. Charlotte was 3 hours one way from Tree Hill and another 3 hours back. Jake would be gone for a few days every month during the off season and almost gone the whole season.

"That's great" Brighid exclaimed, grabbing Jake in a hug.

"But?"

"But what? It's the opportunity of a lifetime, don't over think it. When's the interview?"

"Today at three. Which leaves me just enough time to get ready and drive out there" Jake said, looking at the his wrist watch. He kissed Brighid on the top of her head and rushed off to their bedroom upstairs, turning on the shower.

Brighid looked at the messy kitchen and huffed at the idea of relocating. It would be easier for everyone, Jake would be closer to home, and could help with the twins. Jenny would have to go to a new school and make new friends. She'd be further from her family but they weren't exactly pleased with her choice to reconcile with Dan.

She shook the thought out of her head and cleaned the kitchen.

A few hours later after Jake had left she began to clean the hallway carpets with the vacuum. As she passed by she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror that hung on the wall, her eyes were far less swollen and only one cut which should signs of healing remained on her cheekbone.

As her finger traced the cut the phone on the counter began to ring. She walked away, picking it up. "Hello?" Brighid answered, placing the phone between her shoulder and ear. "Hospice? Really?" Brighid questioned. The woman explained how Dan was hours away from dying, not expected to make it through the night. "Well thank you" Brighid muttered before hanging up the phone. She quickly dialed Haley's house hoping her mother would pick up.

"Hello?" Deb answered.

"Mom, hey I just got the weirdest call. Dan is in Hospice and only has a few hours left. I'm sorry, mom"

"Oh, oh, please. It's just.... It doesn't sound like Dan. Hospice, really?"

"I know you don't see eye to eye with him but maybe he did run away to die" Brighid said.

"What's the address?" Deb asked. Brighid from memory gave her the address. Deb scribbled it on the board which was hanging magnetically from the fridge.

"I'm going to see him, and bring Jenny so you don't need to pick her up from school"

"Brig, you think that's a good idea?" Deb questioned. Brighid knew her mother was going to react like Nathan and Lucas.

"He saved her life. She has the right to say goodbye" Brighid explained. Deb sighed before ending the call. Brighid gathered her things and headed to the school to pick up Jenny before driving to the address the hospice nurse had given her.