~79~

Brighid walked into school with all eyes on her.

"How are you?" Lucas asked walking up next to her.

"Oh you know. I have a junkie mom, a dad who's mayor, I was attacked by Peyton's stalker and I'm just getting back on good terms with my boyfriend after thinking I was pregnant which I am not. Plus I have some big decisions to make about college. Oh and I have to break the news to someone else that they are pregnant now"

"So I'll take that as not great" Lucas said.

Brighid saw Haley and Nathan walking up the sidewalk and figured now was the best time to tell her.

"Haley can we talk?" Brighid asked.

"Yeah just hold on. Nate really we need to find a way to get financially stable and fast. The credit card company says we are over the limit. We have no vehicle. We need money and fast"

"I'll figure it out Hales. Just don't worry about it" Nathan said kissing Haley goodbye and walking up ahead to Lucas.

"So what's up?"

"Haley I'm not pregnant. The doctors said I was false positive but Jake showed me the sonogram. It has your name on it. I think they mixed us up at the doctor's appointment"

"What?" Haley said shocked. She grabbed the sonogram and looked at the name. "How do I tell Nathan? He just took the Duke scholarship and we are so not financially ready" Haley rambled on.

"Haley. Relax. You'll figure this out" Brighid said. Haley took a deep breath before walking into the school building.

Brighid felt bad for Haley. Having to spring this kind of news on her. It wasn't fair. She should have found out at the doctors that day.
———
The next morning Brighid was gathering some things at the house to bring to Jake's since she was planning on staying with him and Jenny for a while. At least until her mom was sober and got some help. As she shuffled through the living room the third caught her attention.

"Deb Scott, ex-wife of Tree Hill Mayor Dan Scott was arrested today for falsifying a prescription. She could be facing up to 10 years in prison" the news caster announced.

"Do you know who I am" Deb yelled at the cops as she place in the backseat. The cameras and news reporters flooded around the car.

Brighid sighed figuring she was going to be the freak show once again at school. She wasn't able to catch a break, not with her parents, not with school and not with basketball.

Half an hour later and she walked in the main hallway to find all eyes on her. People whispered and glanced in her direction.

"Haley" Brighid called out pushing past people. "How'd it go... with Nathan?"

"Good. Surprisingly. He talked to your dad got some money, he's happy about the baby, scared too but we are both going to Duke. We are going to make this work" Haley said shutting her locker. Brighid hugged Haley.

"Brig?" Jake called out. "You okay?" He asked probably referring to her mother.

"Fine. I just can't wait to get out of this town. I need to focus on the game tonight so we can go to the state championship. It's a easy ride after that"

Jake and Brighid walked to class together. Both taking about the amazing night they had coming up. Each team was playing their last game which would qualify them for states.
———
Later that night Nathan had asked Brighid to meet him at the River Court.

"So states for both of us. Who would have thought?" Brig asked stealing the ball and shooting.

"Brighid. I need you to lose the states"

"What? Are you fucking with me? It's my last states no way"

"Brighid you can't tell Haley but I kind of borrowed money from these guys and if I don't lose and win them the money they are telling Duke I've been pointing shaving"

"Have you been point shaving?"

"Just the last game. They told me it was one time. Now it's the states. They have money on both is us losing. If we do this I don't owe them anymore" Nathan explained.

"Nate! I'm not throwing my win away for you. Haley said you got money from dad"

"She doesn't know okay. You can't go telling her either. She's got enough on her plate"

"It's a no for me. I'm playing this game and I plan on winning" Brighid said walking off. She tossed Nathan the ball angry at what he proposed in the first place.

"Damn it Nate!" Brighid yelled in her car hitting her hand against the steering wheel. "damn it" she cried.