~20~

Brighid sat in the dreary office of a therapist while her mom and dad tried to 'fix' their marriage.

"You know the problem is Dan is always pressuring the kids. Making decisions from them" Deb mentioned.

"And is that how you two feel?" The therapist asked Nathan and Brighid.

"I'm not pressuring them. I want the best for them. You know believe it or not a 14 year old should not be making a decision on raising a child"

"15 and like it or not I did" Brighid snapped back.

"Okay, I'm sensing some resentment and hostility. Brighid explain what you want"

"I want to share custody of my daughter. He refuses to sign the papers"

"She's 15 and ruining her life. Let the boy who knocked her up deal with the child" Dan responded.

"Oh my god, Dan" Deb exclaimed outraged. She couldn't possible being hearing this come out of her husband's mouth.

"It's what you did to Lucas, no surprise there" Nathan commented.

"Okay, I can tell this is a sensitive topic for everyone. Who's Lucas?"

"His other son" Nathan and Brighid mumbled at the same time.

"Lucas is the same age as Nathan. All three are in the same grade. He has a different mother and he wasn't raised by Dan" Deb informed the therapist.

"Don't forget to tell her how you are taking over his mother's cafe while she's gone" Dan commented.

"So she can live out her dreams. It a thing someone would do for a friend Dan"

"Oh so now she's your friend. You know she's always putting work ahead of the family... her own family" Dan continued. Brighid could see the therapist's head internally rolling at all of their problems.

"Okay, anyways. Back to the whole decision topic. Dan why won't you sign the papers if your daughter is willingly and wanting to be in the baby's life?"

"He's a no good boy living in Willow Park. His parents work like three jobs"

"So that makes him what? Unworthy and beneath us?" Deb asked outraged.

"At least not good enough for my daughter" Dan snapped rolling his eyes. Brighid instantly huffed at his comment.

"Here we go again with him making every little decision in life" Brighid muttered

"I'm done" Brighid said getting up from the sofa and leaving the room.

"Brighid please stay" The therapist called out but Brighid waited in the lobby for them to be done.

As they walked out of the building her parents began to bicker once again.

"I'm taking my kids out to dinner tomorrow 7pm"

"I think they need a break from you" Deb argued back.

"They are my kids Deb. Come you two ride home with me?" Dan asked opening the driver's door of his car.

"They will be driving with me" Deb countered opening her door.

"How about we drive with either" Nathan said being to walk. Brighid looked back at both her parents before catching up to Nate.

"Nate, you think if I didn't get pregnant mom and dad wouldn't be on the verge of a divorce?" Brighid asked feeling slightly guilty.

"Brig, they were doomed from the start" Nathan said with a sincere smile. He wrapped his arm around her giving her a hug.

"Thanks Nate" Brig muttered. The two walked the cafe where Brighid took over for Haley. Nathan and Haley left promptly after.

"How can I help you?" Brig asked as she wiped the counter. She looked up to find Jake with Jenny in a car seat.

"I have practice can you-?"

" I just took a shift" Brig sighed trying to figure out a median for both of them.

"I can watch her for a little" Keith said as he walked in.

"Uncle Keith you don't have to"

"I don't mind" Keith said with a smile. Jake thanked him before running out of the cafe.

"I suppose my mom told you?" Brig asked.

"Yeah, she also told me you guys are working on being a better family" Keith explained. Brig scoffed at his comment.

"That's never going to happen" Brighid said before tending to the other customers.