~68~

Brighid and Nathan were practicing in the driveway when Dan came walking up.

"What the hell is this?" Dan asked pointing to his keys. "Why doesn't my key to the front door work?"

"I changed the locks. And the alarm code. So don't even think about it" Nathan said walking up to Dan. Brighid hung around in the back letting Nathan deal with him.

"Funny. Almost as funny as a mother who deserts her children. At least your father is checking in" Dan commented scoffing.

"Mom's better off without you. So are we" Nathan continued.

"Really? Why aren't you two at practice then?" Dan asked stealing the ball from Nathan and scoring a perfect, clean basket.

"Whitey kicked us out of the field house. Now we have to play in that crappy old gym" Nathan explained.

"And you?" Dan asked looking at Brighid.

"We didn't have practice scheduled" Brighid explained. Dan threw the ball back at Nathan before leaving the house.
———
The next morning Brighid walked up to the school courtyard to find Jake waiting for her.

"Hey" she said still embarrassed by the other night.

"So how's everything? Heard your mom left" Jake said as they walked on campus.

"Yeah. Just me and Nathan at home now. My dad lives at the beach house like promised. You and Jenny should come over tonight" Brighid said cheering up at the idea.

Jake smiled shaking his head okay.

"So what time is your appointment?" Jake asked pointing to her sheet.

"Right now!" Brighid exclaimed checking her cell time. She ran off to the building just making it in time.

"Brighid Scott?" The guidance counselor asked checking her schedule. Brighid shook her head yes. "Come on in"

Brighid took a seat on the opposite side of the desk.

"So have any colleges in mind?"

"Whatever college scouts me" Brighid explained.

"You can't just rely on colleges to come to you Miss Scott. Having a backup goal is smart as well" the guidance counselor explained. She typed away at her computer. "Looking at your grades and your achievement of jumping ahead a year, you have a great shot at great schools. Possibly Ivy League depending on your SAT score"

Brighid took a deep breath. She hadn't anticipated hearing that kind of news today. She always imagined that schools would seek her out and she'd make the pick from there.

"It's something to consider" Brighid muttered.

"Did you have a dream school in mind?"

"I've always wanted to go to spend more time in Nashville. Vanderbilt was pretty cool when we visited one year, but I'm not too sure" Brighid said. The guidance counselor shook her head, once again typing away.

"We'll just consider applying for your own reasons and not just relying on basketball" the guidance counselor informed her escorting her out of her office.

"Marvin McFadden?" She called out next. Brighid was shocked that Mouth didn't come for his appointment.

At lunch Brighid sat down at a table barely eating the lunch she had brought.

"The appointment go that bad?" Jake asked sitting down next to her.

"How'd it go with you?" Brighid asked dropping the sandwich on the plastic baggy. She brushed her hands out to the side of her.

"Do I really have options. I can't afford to go anywhere but community college" Jake said slightly sassy. "What's your options?" He asked.

"She told me possibly Ivy. I wasn't really expecting that kind of news today. Honestly I always thought the answer would be clear. The best school to scout me would be the pick. Hopefully get into Duke or Louisville"

"So you're just leaving me and Jenny?" Jake asked. Brighid couldn't find the answer to his question.

"It's creating a stable future for her as well. The goal is the WNBA. I'm not just going to have fun and live up my college years" Brighid answered. Jake got mad and walked away.

"Jake" Brighid called out but it was no use.

Later that night after trying to call Jake several times with no luck Brighid decided she was going to drive over to his house.

"Where are you going?" Nathan asked.

"Jake's it's five minutes tops. I'll drive safe" Brighid said as she opened the door. She ran out to the car already soaked.

As she drove she thought about what she was going to say. She pulled up in front of his house and ran to the front door knocking.

"Brighid?" He questioned looking at the sky. "It's pouring get inside"

"I had to come see you. I want to finish what we were talking about today" Brighid said still standing outside.

"Brighid-"

"Just hear me out. Move in with me. We can get an apartment where ever I go. The three of us. I don't want you raising Jenny alone. You can go to community college, I'll play basketball. Most importantly though we will be a family" Brighid dripping wet.

Jake jumped out from the safety inside and kissed Brighid long and hard in the rain. When they broke apart Brighid couldn't help but smile.

"Come on. Before we get pneumonia" Jake said dragging her into the house and getting the two towels to dry off.