~23~

After school and cheer practice, Brighid walked in to find her mom and grandma setting the table.

"Jake is coming. If that's okay" Brighid said to her mom. Deb looked up with a supportive smile. Brighid ran upstairs to shower and change for the dinner.

Around 5:50 Brighid came down to see her Dad home.

"Brighid how was practice?" He greeted giving her a kiss on the head. She internally laughed at his act of being the best dad.

"Good"

"Why two extra?" Dan asked Deb looking at the place settings.

"The kids invited Haley and Jake for dinner" Deb said giving Dan a look to be on his best behavior. The doorbell rang and Brighid went and grabbed the door.

"Hey" Jake said. Brighid smiled welcoming him in.

"Jake, honey welcome" Deb said.

"Happy birthday Mr. Scott"

"Thank you Jake"

"Oh Brig who is this?" May asked coming out of the kitchen.

"Oh this is Jake Jagielski" Brighid introduced. "Jake this is my grandma and grandpa"

"Nice to meet you" he said to both raising his hand.

"Come sit" Royal said patting the seat next to him. Brighid smiled at Jake as they made their way to the dining room. Keith walked in next followed by Nathan and Haley.

"Danny will you pour some wine please?" May asked.

"Oh, a glass for me" Brighid muttered not realizing she had said it out loud. "Kidding only kidding" she continued.

"Oh mom, we are gonna need another place setting. I, uh, invited a guest" Keith stated as he sat down.

"A date? Oh my goodness, well get that chair" May said pointing to the chair in the corner of the room.

Everyone sat down and May was the only one standing when the doorbell rang again.

"I'll get it"

May opened the door to reveal Whitey. May and Royal jumped up greeting him.

"So your grandparents come to town every?"

"Like six months. Believe me this is going to get good" Brighid whispered grabbing a roll from the bread basket.

"Bread?" Brighid asked Jake.

About fifteen minutes into the dinner, Royal couldn't hold back any longer. A one peaceful conversation about school and work turned into sports talk.

"How's the team doing Whitey?" Royal asked. 

"Oh we're-"

"Still undefeated actually" Dan said cutting in before Whitey could respond. Whitey didn't look too happy being cut off from speaking.

"Dad, still rooting for the Magic these days?" Dan asked changing the topic from Nathan.

"PLEASE! No talk of sports until after dinner okay?" May asked sternly in her sweet voice. It was clear she was annoyed the two could do the one thing she had asked of them.

"Good idea, mom. Sorry"

"Nathan what are you averaging these days? You know your dad had 27 1/2 you beat that yet?" Royal said ignoring May's previous comment.

"What about you Brig?"

"Royal just—"

"I'm asking the boy a question May" Royal said shooting May a look to leave him alone before turning to his attention to Brighid and Nathan.