Chapter 187: Fifth Life - Fifth Farewell

"Did he say to go east or west?" I mutter. Quiet footsteps on the path overgrown with grass. Ming Yan and I were now looking for the backwards river.

"He didn't mention," Ming Yan replies.

After we left the Ghost Market, we wandered into this never ending forest again. There was nothing surrounding the market but this dark forest. The gadget is still ticking the forward motion Sharp had set it in, which means we are nowhere near this river at all.

"Yuxing, look!" Ming Yan points at the gadget. Both the hands are vehemently moving backwards.

Sound of people moving through another path alerts my eyes.

"Ming Yan, hide!" I pull her close. Kneeling, we make ourselves small behind a bush.

A tall man dressed in all black leads a line of souls. They appear to be unconscious and staggered after him. Their hands were tied, all bound to the Reaper's hand.

I pull Yi Fei along, and we quietly line up behind. We walked for so long, I'm starting to worry about our limited time. Standing on the tip of my toes, I see two vast waterfalls on either side of large metal gate!

It must be the gate to the Underworld!

Nearing the flowing water, I realize its clear essence is flowing backwards, up to the clouds above.

A loud screech echoes as the metal gate opens. The Reaper releases the rope, it disappears instantly. The people are slowly coming to. They move forward trying to collect their thoughts. The Reaper examines everyone closely while they pass by.

"Hold on." Just as I was about to go through, he stops me. "I don't remember collecting you two."

Ming Yan leans over and whispers in my ear, "Go find Yang Zi Huo. I'll be waiting for you two to come back to us at Bleak Night."

She runs away back the way we came. The Reaper chases after her, yelling. She uses her powers to teleport elsewhere. The Reaper is shocked that a weak looking spirit like her could have activated such a strong spell. He disappears in a cloud of black smoke.

Not taking any chances of getting caught by him, I follow the other souls inside. The gate closes behind menacingly.

I remember this line well. I've been in it, waiting for what seemed to be days just to speak with Ji Nian. I hope I can get through and find where Yang Zi Huo is.

Purgatory? Living among millions of souls?

"How am I going to get pass the organizer at the front?" Starting to panick, I'm looking around for a different route to sneak to. There is nothing but lines and lines of solemn souls.

Walking up ahead, I cut in lines a few times. My time is running out!

"Hey, don't cut!"

"You're cutting!"

"Hey! She's cutting!" One of the souls down the line tries to tattle on me.

I glared back at him and scowl, "Moron, I'm gonna kick you to Purgatory."

"Name?"

"Wu Yin Zhong." A man in front says to the organizer.

"Ah, you're with Ji Nian."

Ji Nian?!

I push forward and grab him before he is taken to Ji Nian's desk. "I'm also Ji Nian's client! Excuse me!"

The wind pulls us both. Before I knew it, we're already standing in front of thousands of ebony desks. I still remember the ink block on Ji Nian's. It's the same one he's been using all these years.

"He's not even here? Don't he know he has people to meet with?"

"Miss, you-- Why did you cling onto me?" The man asks.

"Ah? Sorry, I had to meet with Ji Nian too."

"He's your counselor?"

"Yeah."

"That must mean you just died recently as did I."

"Sounds about right."

Someone pokes my shoulder and I turn around.

"Ji Nian?!" I exclaim.

"What are you doing here?"

"Here to see you. I have something very important to ask you."

"The whole entire Underworld security is looking for you!"

"Looking for me?!"

How did they find me already?!

"Why are you here?! Leave immediately before you get send to a place even worse than Purgatory!"

"I can't leave! I have to find Yang Zi Huo!"

The whole reason I came. To find Yang Zi Huo and bring him home.

The man I caught a ride with looks at me strange and says, "You-- You're not dead."

As if seeing a ghost, he runs away, almost tripping over his robes.

"Why are you looking for him? Shouldn't you be happy that he's gone?" Ji Nian questions.

"I'm not happy at all..."

How can I be? When everything got messed up? When I'm to be blamed that Yang Zi Huo is dead...

"It isn't your time yet you came all the way here for him. Don't you know it is a heinous crime to break into the Underworld while still alive?"

"For a chance to find him, I'm not afraid."

"You two really... really give me a headache."

Ji Nian sighs and closes his eyes. The Underworld is in chaos. Alarms are ringing, counselors are chasing off their clients, papers flying in the air. All because I'm alive and standing here.

"He's not here," Ji Nian reveals.

I clench my fists, my heart about to burst.

All this for nothing?

"What do you mean he's not here? He only died five years ago. He couldn't have reincarnated already!"

"Yang Zi Huo's case got moved up for higher maintenance. It's no secret he was moving toward... an unsightly title."

"So where is he now? I'm asking you where is he?!"

"He was here, but he's not in the Underworld anymore."

"So he's reincarnated? He's forgotten me?"

"I don't know... I'm sorry."

I came all the way here and he's not here anymore. Yang Zi Huo, why couldn't you have waited for me?

"Yuxing! Where are you?" I hear Yi Fei's voice inside my head. She's probably trying to communicate with me to pull back my soul before time runs out.

Holding back my tears, I respond, "I'm here."

"Did you find him yet? The sands of time are about to run out. You have just a few minutes left. Ming Yan has already returned."

"Yi Fei, thank you for doing this. Please tell Ming Yan and Gu Yi that I'll appreciate their kindness forever."

"Why are you speaking in such a way?"

"I... I won't be coming back."

"What are you saying? You have to come back or you'll die." I can hear her voice shaking.

"Yi Fei, Yang Zi Huo wasn't here. He's reincarnated. He will live a new life and forget about me."

"Even without Yang Zi Huo, you can still live on. We'll find a way."

"I'm sorry, Yi Fei. You know I didn't have long left. It's my time. Farewell."

The sounding alarm of the Underworld ceases. Counselors and lost souls look around with caution.

"Yuxing?"

"Huh?" I turn to Ji Nian.

"Welcome back."