Chapter 122: Fifth Life - Time for a Wedding

It is morning. For the first time in Bleak Night history, birds are able to penetrate the thick demon aura. As the birds chirp their songs welcoming the morning light, I open my eyes to see the dark sea staring back.

"Oh my God." I flinch backwards but Yang Zi Huo's arms catches me.

"Where are you going?"

"Were you watching me this whole time?" I ask.

Creepy.

"I woke up just awhile ago. I was wondering why I slept so well."

I clear my throat. "I only was trying to warm you up because you were shivering."

"Well, thank you because it definitely helped me warm up."

He smiles, eyes twinkling.

"Okay... I'm gonna get up then," I tell him.

Sitting up, I'm quickly pulled back into his arms. Resting my head on his shoulder, he squeezes my body gently.

"Yang Zi Huo..."

"It feels like I'm doing something I shouldn't do, but I can't help myself."

"What are you talking about?"

"Keeping you by side."

Keeping still, it's awkward for me to be so close to him, I just become stiff.

"Why did you run away?" He pulls me away, looking into my eyes with concern.

"I... I heard that the prize of winning the race was a free wedding for the two winners," I answer.

"I wouldn't have forced you to marry me if you didn't want to. I want you to be with me on your own terms."

Feeling guilty, I can't look at him.

He says, "But I meant why are you running away from me? Since the beginning?"

"I..."

His eyes compel me to tell the truth. My heart feels like it is being split apart, how can I unravel everything I've tried to hide for so long? It would mean I'd have to tell him everything, and I'm just not ready to be so vulnerable.

"How is your wound? All healed?" I ask to misdirect.

"Fine. I'll give you time to figure out what you want to say to me. But my fire energy has overcome the ice venom. Don't worry. I'll be back to normal soon."

"Who says--"

He interrupts me. "Who says you're worried?"

"I just mean... It's good you're getting better."

Once you're better, I leave.

"You hungry?" He asks.

"A bit."

"I'll make you something."

"You're still recovering. How can I make you work? Ming Yan will stare at me to death with her glare."

He laughs, "Did Ming Yan say something to you?"

"She's just worried about you, so she scolded me a bit."

"Mmm. How can you let others lecture you into worrying about your lover?"

"Tsk." I punch his chest playfully. He chuckles to himself and takes ahold of my hand. He pecks my hand with his lips so lightly it tickles.

He sits up in the bed, and I do too. Before I could stand, he reaches around my waist, placing his chin on my shoulder.

"I really want to drink your snow tea right now."