Chapter 67: Fourth Life - When You Loved Another

It was the battle of life and death. With the unity of the Immortal Sects together rounding up an army of thousands, Sect Leader Yang was overwhelmed. He unleashed his Blue Fire from within his demon blood and took the lives of many. Bleak Night stood victorious, but Sect Leader was no where to be found. He had fallen through an opening on the outskirts of the battlefield and landed deep within a tomb of forgotten warriors.

That's where he met Qie Ming Yan. Not partaking in the battle, Ming Yan was scouting injured victims to heal. She happened to have fallen through the same opening and landed atop the unconsciousness Sect Leader Yang Zi Huo. Fearing him to be a corpse, she screamed. When she realized he was breathing just barely, she quickly dissolved her fears and healed him by transferring her inner powers into his body along with cleaning and applying medicine to his wounds.

In that tomb, they both stayed for three days and three nights. Ming Yan looked after Yang Zi Huo as he slept. His head rested on her lap. She nodded off in and out of sleep. When Zi Huo finally awoke, he immediately put his hand around Ming Yan's neck. She cried for him not to kill her as she still had a duty to treat him.

Looking back to his tattered armor and bandaged skin, he realized she did not try to hurt him at all but helped him.

"Don't you know who I am?" Yang Zi Huo's eyes were cold and his breath unsteady.

"I don't know, but I know you're hurt. With the duty of a physician, I'm obligated to help you."

"You're from Invigorating Essence Sect?"

"Mmm!" She nodded hoping that Yang Zi Huo would pardon her life.

Yang Zi Huo was oblivious to beauty, but he understood in that moment that Ming Yan had a kind heart.

Ming Yan had silky smooth skin that emulated the glow of moonlight. Her sharp eyes were big and her lips were slightly pink. Her thin eyebrows were elegantly drawn. Her small face came into harmony in the shape of an egg as her chin pointed sharply down. She always wore light colored dresses, flowing like the tail of a maiden fairy and had dangling accessories in her long black hair.

~~~

I rolled my eyes. "Are you sure you're not in love with her, Gu Yi?"

"Quiet. I'm just providing you an image."

~~~

When it rained into the opening, Ming Yang would collect the water into her leather water carrier always offering it to Yang Zi Huo first. He was suspicious of her, but later on gave in to her kind gestures. Once he was well enough, he held onto Ming Yan's waist and flew her out of that tomb back through the hole they both fell in.

While parting, Yang Zi Huo asked her, "Don't you want to know my name?"

The bright smile on Ming Yan's face shook the cold Sect Leader's icy heart.

"I'm Ming Yan. What is your name?"

"Yang Zi Huo."

"Yang Zi Huo? Then you're--" Ming Yan covered her mouth in shock of learning her patient's identity.

"I'm sure we'll meet again." And with that he flew into the distance, disappearing into the horizon as the perturbed Ming Yan found herself lucky to have survived a week by the Demon Lord's side. She started to wonder if he was really as bad as others said.

Sect Leader returned to Bleak Night Sect with a new ambition in mind: to satisfy his curiosity about Qie Ming Yan. I was rather shocked when Sect Leader ordered me to bring her from Invigorating Essence to Bleak Night under the premise that he was incredibly ill and that only her medical expertise would alleviate his suffering.

Who should refuse this request on Ming Yan's behalf? Of course, it was the new Sect Leader of Tuan Jie Mountain, Song Wei Long. His heart belonged to Ming Yan, and as childhood friends, the two were close. After his father died in the battle with Bleak Night, Wei Long's heart burned greatly with vengeance. He wanted to kill Yang Zi Huo, but the Immortal Sects were far too weakened to plan another attack. Only half of each of the nine Immortal Sects survived the battle. As the Leader of Jianghu, Song Wei Long had to rethink his strategy.

Could he sacrifice his love and succeed at eliminating Yang Zi Huo by having Ming Yan seduce the Demon? He was that much of a scumbag to come up with such an idea.

For the first time, Ming Yan's granduncle, the Sect Leader of Invigorating Essence Sect opposed involvement directly with Bleak Night. There had been too much bloodshed and to have his cherished grandniece treat Yang Zi Huo, it would seem as though they were siding with the demon sect.

Ming Yan had no intentions to seduce Yang Zi Huo nor did she care about the political balance of Jianghu. She only wished to treat the ones who needed her help. However, she did fear that if she was able to help Yang Zi Huo regain his strength then more endless deaths were to follow. With the determination to heal Yang Zi Huo and reform his demonic ways, Ming Yan entered Bleak Night.