Chapter 157: WYH II

I was not able to refute my father when he promised Uncle Chen that I would be Chen Mu Dan's tutor for the summer.

I didn't understand father's reasoning behind this, but I knew he could not refuse Uncle Chen. After all father was saved and indebted to the Chen family. This was something that existed heavily on his shoulders.

"You will stay at the Chen residence while your mother and I make the trip to capital city."

"Yes, father." I nodded.

I dared not oppose father on the matter. No matter what plans father had laid out, I had to do my part.

Both Uncle and Aunt Chen were very nice people. Upon reaching their doors, they didn't wait to offer me something to eat or drink. Chen Mu Dan stood behind her father, sneaking glances at me while under her breath, said my name numerous times.

I tried to ignore her eccentric behavior. Aunt Chen showed me the room I would be staying in. It's in close quarters to Chen Mu Dan's chambers. I was told this was because I was going to be Chen Mu Dan's tutor, so it was convenient to have us live close together. I didn't think it was necessary.

I was sharing a meal with the Chen family when Uncle Chen said, "Yi Huai, you are so well mannered. I hope some of it rub off on Mu Dan."

He smiled and placed a chicken drumstick on top of my bowl of rice. Awkwardly, I bowed my head. I was thinking it would be impossible for Chen Mu Dan to become civilized.

"That's right. You see our Mu Dan has become spoiled. She does what she wants," Aunt Chen added.

I looked at Chen Mu Dan as she was piling food into her mouth, unbothered by what was being said.

Suddenly, she spat out a few rice grains when she argued, "You two have been praising Wu Yi Huai all day since he got here. He didn't even do anything worthwhile."

"Mu Dan, Yi Huai is a guest. Do not speak like that," Aunt Chen tried to discipline her.

"Uncle, Aunt. Mu Dan is right. We can let the lessons speak for themselves. Mu Dan is a smart girl, I'm sure she will be a great student."

"Well said," Uncle Chen chimed in. "We are confident in having you be our daughter's tutor. I'm hopeful that you two will get along well."

After dinner I resettled in my room for the night. The light from the setting sun still penetrated through the cloth windows, thus I did not light the candles yet. I heard sounds of small pebbles hitting the window closest to the wall dividing Chen Mu Dan's quarters from mine. It was not surprising to assume that Chen Mu Dan was boldly initiating another pointless conversation.

As I opened the window, Chen Mu Dan absentmindedly threw another rock and hit me on my forehead. "Ah!"

"I'm so sorry, Wu Yi Huai!" She screamed and was about to jump down from the wall.

"Stay away!" I pointed at her.

She sat back down on the top of the wall with a disgruntled face. "Why are you already sleeping? The sun isn't even down yet."

"It is my evening ritual to stay in my room, read a few books, and prepare for bed. Why are you not in your room and instead improperly climbing over the wall like a barbarian?"

"I just wanted to see what you were doing. I thought we could play something or go watch the sunset."

"I am not here to be your playmate."

"You really think my parents asked your parents to have you stay here because I'm so undisciplined they need you to put me in my place?"

"..."