Chapter 45: Third Life - Falling Too Late

Using a long twig, I turned my frustration into sword practice. Flipping in the air, kicking with force, and using powerful hand movements, I was pleased to still be athletically skilled. Something I could definitely beat that silly girl, Xiao Feng, at.

Throwing the twig on the ground, I sighed, "I miss my Meteor Sword."

Walking back to the house, I saw that Lu Kai wasn't home yet. The darkness of a quiet hut surrounded by a forest of trees... It felt so lonely.

Lu Kai probably ran away from home. I hadn't seen him in two days. Although I was bitter about his new relationship with the adorable Xiao Feng, I already accepted it. They were going to get married and have children, and I would have to move to a new home.

I wasn't afraid of not having a home or not having enough money to support myself. With the exterior of being cold-blooded, I didn't want to admit that Lu Kai had become a special person in my heart. I replaced the horrors of my life with the cheerful moments I spent being his mentor. Without someone to shield me from the misery of the world, I used Lu Kai as a candlelight to which I protected in order to live in the dark.

I had to let him go. 

"What if he's been captured?" I scared myself while waiting in the living room for Lu Kai to return.

"What if right now, he's waiting for me to save him?" Paranoia was clouding my thoughts.

"Damn it." Closing the doors to the house, I hurriedly made my way to the neighboring city where Lu Kai liked to spend his time.

I'm going to kill Wu Jing if something happened to him.

The bustling streets of the city had lit lanterns decorating across. Since I was a hermit, I didn't spend much time playing around, although Lu Kai liked to explore the businesses that opened late here. Vendors yelled out for people to buy their goods and street food. Fiercely pushing through crowds of people, I headed for the place I knew Wu Jing would be. The gambling alley.

He was laughing conceitedly as he swindled people out of money on the table inside a gambling den. Tapping him on the shoulder, I waited for him to turn around. Except he shrugged me off and continued to make a bet.

"I say big!" He placed a string of coins on the drawn square.

The dealer opened the wooden top to reveal the dice with the number ten.

"Yes!" He grabbed all the money and shuffled a few inside his robe.

I tapped him again, which he ignored.

"It's definitely going to be small this time," he exclaimed.

Annoyed, I blew his cover, "It's going to be whatever you and the dealer agreed upon, right?"

The gamblers turned their attention to me, barking accusations at Wu Jing and the dealer. Wu Jing finally saw me standing behind him and snarled.

We were kicked out. On the street outside in a dark alley, Wu Jing furiously walked ahead.

"Why did you do that? That was the last strike! I can't go there anymore, damn!"

Following him, I said, "You never played it fair anyways."

"So what? They didn't know!"

"How does your father feel with you fooling around and gambling your life away?"

"What do you care?"

"I don't. But I don't want Lu Kai to be like you."

"Hahaha, yeah right."

"Where is he? I haven't seen him in days."

"I don't know."

Reaching for his arm, I turned him around. He pushed my hand away, but I use my other arm to grab his shoulder. Breaking free from my hold, he moved behind my point of view. Grabbing his neck, I pulled him down to the ground.

"Tell me where he is," I demanded.

"Fine! I'll tell you. Get off me!"

Stepping off him, I watched him stood, rubbing his neckline from where I choked him.

"He's at... Gan Xin Pavilion."

"Gan Xin Pavilion?"

He coughed and said, "It's a brothel."