Chapter 42: Third Life - The Proposal

It was night time, and the sounds of cicadas besieged the forest from all sides. I waited on the doorsteps for Lu Kai to come home.

Clucking my tongue, I muttered under my breath, "He said he wouldn't stay out late..."

With the moon shining overhead, a tall shadow made its way to the house.

"Oh, Na Li Jie, what are you doing out here?" Lu Kai asked.

Standing up, I told him, "I was waiting for you."

"Look, I bought dinner!" He raised a bundled up cloth in front of my eyes.

"But I cooked something." Frowning, I started to wonder if he hated my cooking.

"Oh? Let's have this instead, okay? Or else it'll go bad tomorrow."

"Fine then."

He placed some food on our round table in the living space inside our home. Freshly cooked beef with vegetables and steaming rice.

"It looks delicious," I sniffed the tempting scent of the hot food.

"Yeah, and here," he placed an embroidered bag into my palm.

"What is this?" I opened the bag to see brown caramelized candy, "Wow, I haven't had these in forever."

"I wanted to get them for you."

"Thanks. How's working on Uncle Liu's farm?"

"It's all right."

"I heard you and Liu Xiao Feng have been getting along well..."

"She's a good person."

"I remember when you were so afraid of girls, you wouldn't let them near you."

"I wasn't afraid of girls. I was afraid of you."

"What are you talking about?"

"You always had that cold expression. Like you could strike down anyone in that instant."

"I had a reputation to uphold at the time..."

"Well, I was afraid of you, but I still admired you." He used his chopstick to pick up a piece of meat.

"Xiao Kai, think about it. We're not living at Crimson Snow Valley anymore. We're not participants of Jianghu. You're already twenty, and I'm twenty five. Do you think we'll ever get married?"

Spitting out his food, the look of compulsion appeared on his face.

"You mean-- to each other?!"

Annoyed at him, I said, "Obviously not to each other. I meant to other people."

Adjusting his position, he cleared his throat, "How can I have a family with us being on the run? It's not the best situation to have wife and kids. I just don't see myself living that kind of life."

"Well, if you say so."

"Why? Do you want to get married or something?"

"Aunt Meng is currently looking... for someone... for me."

Almost spitting out his food again, he said, "What?!"

"Either way, it's not anything I'm interested in at the moment."

"I remembered you said if you weren't a follower of Crimson Snow Valley, weren't a member of the pugilist world, you'd marry a rich politician, so you wouldn't have to work."

"Oh yeah, I did say that."

"I know our life right now isn't easy, but we're doing well. Marriage isn't for everyone."

"Yeah, we're doing okay for now."

We ate without further discussions on the marriage matter. Honestly, when I thought about it, Lu Kai was right. We couldn't possibly settle down and live normal lives if we were on the run from the Immortal Sects. That would put our families in danger. But if he married someone who had excellent martial art skills like me and if I married someone strong and dependable like him, I mean he did have the powers of the Star Gem, then we'd be capable enough to take on the entire pugilist world...

"Wait," I stopped my chopstick before it entered my mouth with a few grains of rice.

"What?" Lu Kai turned to me.

"Why don't you just... marry me?"