Chapter 12: Second Life - Leave It Up to Fate

"Mingxian, you've been in a good mood these days," Master said to me. I was humming while placing out the medicine to dry in the sun in our back courtyard.

"What do you mean, Master." I pretended not to know what he was referencing to.

"Ever since you've met Lord Kong, you've been happily doing all the chores you used to hate doing."

"I have not! I'm merely doing them because I'm worried about you getting older and weaker."

"Well, you don't have to worry about doing them by yourself anymore. I've accepted a new student."

"A new disciple?"

"You know him. Aunt Huang's son, Xiao Wei."

"Oh, Xiao Wei? He's a good kid. Cannot say the same for his mother though."

"Mingxian!" Master did not like me to bad mouthed others.

"Sorry. Sorry," I apologized.

Xiao Wei moved into the clinic's guest room and started learning the steps of becoming Master's second assistant. He had a long way to go before he could get to my level, but he was eager to learn.

"Senior Mingxian, someone's here to see you," Xiao Wei told me when I was in the storage room fanning a pot of brewing herbs.

"Who?" I asked. No one's had ever come to specifically see me. Most of the time the visitors were here to see Master.

"I'm sorry I didn't ask."

"Is he handsome?"

"What?

"Is he handsome?!" This boy had ears only for display.

"Uh, handsome... Yes, he's handsome." Immediately I waved the fan in front of me, telling Xiao Wei to fan the medicine until it's ready. Patting down the loose hair on my head, I took a deep breath before venturing out.

"Hello?" I said in the best soothing voice I could muster.

"Miss Mingxian, it's good to see you again." His voice was clear like a running stream.

"Lord Kong, what brings you here today? I'm sorry, Master is out of the clinic on some errands."

"Yes, Doctor Lu told me you could show me around the mountain and select a few rare medicinal herbs for me to bring back." He sounded like he didn't want to ask this of me. After all, what kind of person would ask a blind guide to show them around a hilly forest?

"Do not fret, Lord Kong. I've been gathering medicinal herbs for the past ten years on my own. I have a record of ninety-eight percent accuracy."

"Ninety-eight?"

"That's per Master's rating system each time I go out and gather medicine."

"That's pretty high," he said gleefully as if to compliment me.

"Well, yes, of course. Let me gather a few things and meet you out front."

I was determined to show off my skills to Lord Kong. I wanted to show him that even though I was blind, I was still quick witted and strong. We walked about three miles to the entrance of the foot of Livid Mountain. A small path I always used increased in elevation as we climbed. As we moved up, I heard raspy breathing from behind.

"Lord Kong, are you all right? Should we take a break?" I asked. He seemed like a strong young man, but was already breathing heavily from this small hike.

"I'm all right...," he huffed, "I'm just not use to this kind of exercise."

Crossing my arms, I asked him, "As a physician, don't you go out and gather medicinal herbs as well?"

Clearing his throat, he replied, "Well... Usually, I have all the medicine I need at my clinic because the students there did the harvesting."

He really is the Prince of Medicine. Very privileged. What was the use of all that muscle then?

"Then you'll learn how we do it here. Everything we use, we gather ourselves. Here." I reached out my hand to the struggling Lord Kong. He didn't offer his hand, probably afraid of touching me. I was about to remove it out of embarrassment, but suddenly a firm hand gripped the entirety of my right hand. His hand was soft but strong. My heart began to race, so I distracted myself by pulling him forward.

We continued on for awhile until I noticed a change in the air. More dewy and humid. Perfect place to find some fungus growing out of the ground or logs. I went off the path with my hands out in front, my nose leading the way. I could hear Lord Kong stumbling behind. I finally noticed he was not wearing something for easy moving. He kept tripping over his long robe.

Hahaha.

Lowering myself, I placed my hand lightly on a fallen tree. Some fungus had started growing on its body. Inching my face closer, the scent of it told me that it was not poisonous. It smelled bitter but had the similar scent to Toad Fungus that could help clear bad blood and improve the immune system. Smiling to myself, I began to carefully tear off pieces and put it into my basket I was carrying.

We went from the south side of the foot of the mountain to the east. All the while, Lord Kong observed me picking out different herbs. I would lecture him on why this certain herb was unique to the mountain and its use. Of course, the best part about the entire hike was that he held onto my hand the whole time.