Chapter 50: Third Life - An Old Acquaintance

"You're here?" Lu Kai's eyes lit up as he stood across from his veiled bride.

"You-- You're getting married?" My voice cracked. Fighting the eruption of emotions lodged in my throat.

Forgetting about the ceremony, Lu Kai grabbed my hands and looked into my eyes.

"I'm glad you're back. I was so worried about you..."

Aunt Meng interrupted our reunion, "We couldn't possibly have the wedding without Ah Kai's only family! You came just on time, Ah Xin!"

"What is all this?" I looked around at the people who were happily smiling. Red paper decorated on the walls. Red curtains hung down from the ceiling.

"From now on, I'll do as you say. I'll get married as you ask as long as you don't leave again."

"I..."

What are you thinking Lu Kai?!

Whispering into his ear, I asked, "Do you not remember what happened the night before I left?"

Confused, he answered, "I was too drunk to remember anything. Did I do something wrong? Something horrible to make you want to leave?"

"Xiao Kai..."

You idiot.

"I will marry Xiao Feng and move in with her parents. You can stay at our home. You don't have to leave, all right? I just want us to stay together."

The stabbing sensation in my chest this time wasn't from the curse, but from my own distress. I stupidly drove Lu Kai away.

"Luo Na Li? You're still alive and well," a sly voice distracted us from conversation. Suddenly, the noise of a lively wedding faded.

Turning to the person in black robes, I was shocked to see who it was.

"Senior Yue?"

Stepping in front of Lu Kai, I waited for her to make a move.

"I'm surprised you didn't die within the year you fled Crimson Snow Valley. The Fidelity Oath should have taken your life by now."

"What is she talking about, Na Li?" Lu Kai asked.

"It's nothing," I told him.

Striding across the room, she went on, "You've tainted the holiness of Crimson Snow Valley. Sect Leader wants you to pay for the emotional hardships you've brought onto her."

"So you're here to kill me?"

"No. I came for him." She stared at Lu Kai.

I cautioned, "If you want him, you'll have to go through me."

Smirking, she said, "I remember him. He came to save you at Crimson Snow Valley five years ago. The man you chose when you betrayed the sisters of the sect... He has the Star Gem."

"Master still wants that piece of rock? She won't be able to use it, even if she gets her hand on him."

"We'll find a way."

"How'd you find me anyhow?"

"I would have passed on by if it where not for your outburst at Gan Xin Pavilion. The familiar aura of power, and the fact that you looked like a wife coming to claim your adulterer husband. It was hilarious. Doing a bit of investigation... it led me here."

Liu Xiao Feng had her veiled lifted to observe the entire situation, her parents huddled around her.

"Senior Yue, shut the hell up."