Chapter 69: Fourth Life - All that I can Give You

Master wasn't willing to have me fix his sleeve that one day, so I decided to go back when he was out. Early morning, I was to clean Master's chambers and study. Luckily he was a tidy person that cleaning didn't take up a lot of my energy. The other people in the sect left huge messes all the time!

Opening a wooden chest next to his bed, I found all his garments folded and separated by color. Running my fingers over the silky robes and leathery cloth, I smiled as I imagined Master wearing them and looking devilishly handsome as always. I pulled each one out and examined the clothing for tears or loose threads. They all seem to be in good shape accept for a few old robes.

Stitching through the cloth with precision, I focused intently on making sure Master's wardrobe match his outstanding leadership. Even though I never doubted Master's elegance, I knew that people focused on appearance too. Master must be well dressed at all times.

My daily schedule included washing Master's clothes, bringing tea to his study, retrieving items for him, and anything else he asked of me. I didn't really get much time to converse with him throughout the day, but took joy in watching him from afar.

In my free time, I would wait outside Master's study when he worked late into the night. For a demon, he did a lot of studying and document reading. Master was also extremely intelligent equal to his expert level in martial arts.

Knocking on the door, I softly said, "Master? May I come in?"

"Come," Master answered.

Opening the doors to found him reading a manual, I quietly tip toed over to his desk. Placing down a teacup onto the desk, I poured hot tea from the pot and set it down. Hugging the tray I brought the tea items in, I leaned in to read the papers on Master's desk.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Oh! Nothing, nothing. Just wanted to see what Master was doing. Don't worry, I don't know how to read."

"You don't know how to read?"

"Yes, Master. I learned with my sister Chun Mei at the village. But we don't have much use for reading and writing, so I forgot all that I learned. My brain isn't too good."

Ugh, I'm so stupid! I can't even read or write. So embarrassing.

"But Master! I would like to learn. Will you teach me?"

Master didn't pay attention to me and continued reading his manual. It was disheartening when he ignored me. Sulking to myself, I was about to take my leave.

"If you really want to learn, I'll have Gu Yi teach you."

Turning to him, I excitedly yelled, "Really?!"

"Mm."

"I promise I'll dedicate myself."

"Fine. You can go."

"Good night, Master."

Smiling, I left Master's study feeling like I could truly become a better person. Master had a cold personality, but in reality he has given me many things because he cared.

Back at my habit of sewing Master's clothes, I carefully poked the needle in and out with the light from a flickering candle. At this point Master's clothes were all patched up nicely, but I wanted to add some pattern to the old robes that Master never wore. Perhaps when he saw them with more lavish designs, he would give them a chance and wear them with pride.

Although no one was in the room, I looked to my left and then to my right. Sneakily, I brought the garments to my nose to sniff the lovely scent. It smelled like Master. Clean and brought out the most comfortable feeling. A scent that reminded me of home. Not Pingfan village, but a home where I would always be safe. I was safest in Master's arms.