Chapter 123: Fifth Life - Marital Battle

That Old Man Liu ordered two maids to stay at Xuehua and help prepare me for the wedding. Apparently in the time I was gone, the Bleak Night presence dwindled and left the place defenseless. Yang Zi Huo's men are completely useless!

The maids usher the layers of red robes on me. My face had been caked in powder and my lips tinted red.

I know what I have to do. After the ceremony, I will have to subdue that old man and threaten him to let Chuju go. If I have to hurt someone... then it will be worth the years of punishment in purgatory.

With a red veil covering my head, I'm escorted out by the maids into the bride's palanquin.

How many times have I worn a red dress like this to only be duped in the end?

I notice about ten men acting as security, four palanquin carriers, and the two maids in front. That Old Man Liu is waiting for me somewhere else.

How the hell did he even find me here? No need to panic. I won't let my nerves get to me.

"Who are you?!"

"Retreat at once!"

I hear commotion coming from outside. Punches are thrown and bodys fall the to ground. The two maids are screaming, their voices getting farther and farther away.

I flip the veil over my head and see a hand open the curtain to the palanquin.

"What are you doing here?" I couldn't believe my eyes.

It seems like only for a moment, time has stopped. He looks into my eyes and I look into his.

"I should be asking you that!" He breaks the silence and scolds me.

Yang Zi Huo drags me out, and I see that the ten guards are passed out on the ground. The four palanquin carriers and maid are nowhere to be seen. Must have ran off.

The road has bystanders observing the whole thing. I pull my arm away from Yang Zi Huo. He roughly pulls me even closer.

"Stop! Let me go!" I order him while landing a few slaps to his arm.

He does as I ask but not without turning around to glare. I cower for a second, afraid he's going to burn me alive.

"You don't want to marry me, but will gladly walk into a bride palanquin for someone else?" He mocks with a condescending tone.

"I didn't!"

"Then what is this?" He points to the scene behind.

"I... It doesn't concern you!" I shout.

"You-- From now on, I'm not going to allow such bullshit. I've tried to be patient with you, Rong Xin. But this is unacceptable. You are not marrying anyone else but me."

"Eh?"

"You want to get married so bad? Let's go get married." He forces his hand to link in with mine. I pull him with my weight to no avail.

"Wait, Yang Zi Huo. Listen to me for one second. I didn't want to get married! I was forced!"

He stops his steps. "Who dares?"

"You know him. It's that Old Man Scholar Liu that forced me to marry him. He's taken Chuju, threatening to make her his concubine if I don't get on the bridal palanquin."

Yang Zi Huo doesn't say anything. His serious expression tells me he's thinking.

"I will get her. Don't worry," he comforts me.

"I'll go too." Before he could say anything, I walk ahead.

He pulls the sash around my waist, and I take a step backwards.