Chapter 190: The Demon King III

After spending a few days with Yang Zi Huo, I feel myself more comfortable in his presence. He's gentle... kind and very intelligent. Plus, he's a great cook, the way he stirs the meat in the wok is like stirring waves in my heart!

"Yuxing?" I turn to him when he approaches me on the balcony overlooking Endless Twilight.

"What is it?"

"I wanted to give you something." He pulls a small gift from his sleeve, offering it to me in his palm. "Perhaps... this is something you don't wish to ever see again."

The light pink color is pale and undistinctive, but the feelings inside my heart are greatly disturbed. The beads still hang at the end as I remembered. It was the same hairpin he'd given me years ago when I was the naive Li Rong Xin.

"I kept it this whole time... I've kept many things from all our lives together. Holding onto them was like holding onto you."

I couldn't speak and listen to him express what he has hidden deeply.

"These treasures embodied the hope that I would meet you again. Remembrance of my heart and dedication to you while also knowing that I would need to make up for a lot of wrongs."

His eyes shift from mine to the ground. He becomes bashful and timid, holding the hairpin nervously in his grasp.

"Maybe this is too early... After so many years, we have to get to know each other again. I waited and waited and when it already came to be ten-thousand years, I couldn.'t wait anymore. So I came to get you, not even knowing if I'd find you in the Underworld. It was presumptuous of me to assume you'd be willing to be with me after all this time... May I ask if you wish to accept this hairpin?"

He wants to know if I'm willing to give this another chance. This being us. He wants to know if I've missed him as much as he did me, if I still love him to be with him in this life. As he was rebuilding the demon realm, assimilating into his role as a leader, he thought of me always.

My lips spread into a closed smile, eyes a bit blurry. "I accept."

Yang Zi Huo's face lights up and reflected an excited grin. "Really?"

"En," I nod.

"May I pin it in your hair?"

Turning around, I can't hide the bliss I'm feeling. I've felt it many times before with Yang Zi Huo. I cherished it so much then because I was so afraid of fate pulling us apart. At least for now, I will not worry about such things.

Gently, he pierced the sharp tip into the hair bun in the upper half of my hairdo. I turn back to face him and ask, "How does it look?"

"Very pretty, my beloved."

I laugh. "So this was some kind of marriage proposal?"

He smiles at me, his eyes gleaming.

Getting ready for bed, I place my fingers up to feel the pin in my hair. Taking it out, I realize this time we didn't have to wait so long to understand one another. I was very grateful for that.

"I should make something for him as well." Humming to myself, I don't retreat to bed for the night but start on mending a gift for Yang Zi Huo.

The next day I venture into Yang Zi Huo's study as I usually do before we eat breakfast together. Looking around, I don't see him at his desk or sitting in the cozy corner of the upper level reading.

"Your highness, his majesty has stepped out to attend to something. He has asked me to keep you company." Ying Huo makes me jump when she comes up from behind.