Chapter 128: Fifth Life - The Demon's Unruly Bride III

We land in the middle of a bamboo forest. Qin Yu falls, but I hold him before his knees touches the ground.

"You okay?" I ask.

He exhales, his breath strained. "I've been recovering from a fever. Guess it's too soon to be using my powers."

A fever? He seems much more injured than just having a fever.

"Where is this place?"

He walks away from me, continuing down a path. "A small village not too far from Capital City. The Night Ravens will not search for you here just yet."

I was following him, but stop my steps.

"Qin Yu, you know they were Night Ravens from Bleak Night?"

"Of course. Living this long, I've come to know a thing or two about the people who run this world."

Qin Yu... He seems different. He has always been aloof but never cold. Can I trust him? I'm sure he's Immortal because he's a demon. I just don't know if he's the demon whose been killing people. My life could be in danger. 

"There's a cottage up the path we can stay for the night," he says.

"I think I'll just go. It was nice seeing you, Qin Yu. Thanks for helping me escape."

Over his shoulder, he speaks in an eerie tone. "What? Are you afraid of me?"

"I'm not." I mean it. I'm not afraid of Qin Yu. I am worried that I may die right now should he suck out my blood.

"You saw my eyes."

So he's aware of that...

He asks, "You think I'm a demon?"

"I don't know."

He turns to face me. His eyes a lifeless grey.

"Ugh..." He falls over, landing on the ground with a loud thud.

"Qin Yu!" I run to him. Feeling his forehead, it was a burning temperature.

Why does this always happen to me?!

Carrying his fragile body on my back, I walk slowly on the path until we reach the small cottage. Kicking the doors open, I look for a bed to let his body rest. The country home is small and built of unstable wood. There is no separate room, but a white clothed panel divides the living space from a canopy bed. 

I place Qin Yu on the bed, pulling the stiff blue covers over his body. 

He grabs my hand. "Don't leave, Rong Xin."

I hesitate to remove his hand. Sweat drips down his pale face, and his lips quiver in pain. 

Why does my heart ache? Not because I worry for Qin Yu but because... I'm reminded of Yang Zi Huo.

I shake my head. Trying to focus on the situation at hand, I kneel and pat Qin Yu's hand. "Don't worry. I won't go anywhere. You rest now, all right?"

His wheezing subsides, and I can tell that he had fallen asleep. Tired from the night of running away, I close my eyes and succumb to sleep as well.

When I awake, I can feel the soreness in my body. I had fallen asleep with my back arched forward, my neck stretched out. 

"Ow. Huh? Where is Qin Yu?"

He told me to stay, but left as soon as he had awakened. Tch!

"Where did he go?" As I step outside, the cold air surrounds me. My breath comes out in a veiled white fog.