Chapter 84: Fourth Life - Realm of Obstacles

If you haven't noticed, I've updated the description. Due to a change in my schedule, I'll be updating 2-3 chapters weekly. It will vary during the week when the chapters will be published, sometimes early or later in the week. Thanks for reading this far! I'm really happy for the support!

~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~

Just a few days ago, I felt as though Master was starting to open up to me. He asked to meet but never showed. Now all his time was spent inside his chambers, waiting for Ming Yan to wake up. Guards were doubled in security around Bleak Night and Master's courtyard.

I would wait for him to come out. I thought maybe if he knew I was waiting, he would come. Low level sect followers like me were forbidden to enter. Every second, every minute felt like a thousand trembles of aching in my heart. The more I waited the more I started to believe that Master would never think of me the same as Ming Yan.

Retreating to my room for the night, I ran into Lord Wu. He looked tired with a pale face and dark eyes. I was sure Master had the Night Ravens working endlessly to find out who caused harm to Ming Yan.

"Lord Wu, are you all right?" I asked while observing his face closely.

Half smiling, he said, "I'm all right. How are you, Rong Xin?"

"I-- I'm just worried about Master."

Lord Wu didn't say a word. Thinking about how to comfort me, he fidgeted uncomfortably.

"Zi Huo is fine... That girl from Invigorating Essence was abnormally hurt, so he's worried."

It's natural to worry about someone dear to you.

"How abnormal?" I asked.

"Her wounds emit a very powerful demonic energy. It's possible the demon rebel group, Wicked Mist, targeted her."

"Wicked Mist?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to talk about things you don't know."

"No, Lord Wu. I want to know. Wicked Mist is a demon group, and you think they're behind this?"

"Yes. They oppose Zi Huo's leadership. Claiming him to be too soft hearted for a Demon King. As you know Zi Huo aims to purify the world of evil demons, although he is a demon himself. We both wish to rid the world of evil whether they're the root of humans or demons."

Both Master and Lord Wu really are admirable in their ambitions. They are indeed heroes.

"Lord Wu, why do you think Wicked Mist attacked Miss Ming Yan?"

"They probably know she is someone Zi Huo is close to."

Of course...

He continued, "I'm sure they tried to capture her in order to draw out Zi Huo. We will have to wait for her to wake up to understand all that's happened. Invigorating Essence Sect is barren. Something must have happened there."

"Wicked Mist might have attacked Invigorating Essence to provoke Master."

"Right. We know their end game is Zi Huo, but we're not sure how they're going to play this out."

Bowing my head, I thanked Lord Wu. "Thank you for talking to me about these matters. I haven't seen Master these past few days, and no one really explains anything to me."

Patting my shoulder, Lord Wu smiled with pity in his gaze and then entered Master's courtyard. He swiftly entered the doors of Master's chambers as the guards greeted him.