Chapter 94: The Mortal Realm - Black Market

"Here." I throw the glowing vessel in Sharp's direction. His small hands quickly catch the vessel.

"Hey! Don't throw something so precious."

"I don't even know if it's the real thing. But it's in there. Now give me the Memory Preserver, and I'll be on my way."

He leans back into his chair. "I don't have it."

"You what?!" I jump toward the desk, almost reaching over to strangle his neck.

"Calm down! Since you were able to get two essences for me, I'll have the Memory Preserver ready for you in the next century."

I laugh, "The next century? I'm about to reincarnate in the next ten years and you want me to wait a century for my Memory Preserver?!"

"It takes a long time to make, all right? I sold the last one five hundred years ago, and they're not exactly high in demand."

"You better make this right, Sharp. Or I'm going to spread the word that you're a crook!"

"No need to be like that. I told you. I can have it ready for you."

"Not in a century. You must have it done in ten years."

"There could be possible side effects in that short of time."

I sigh heavily, "Like what?"

"For example, you will remember vividly all your memories, even the bad ones. Your physical body will be weakened, and your heart may not be strong."

"You forget I do want to remember. I want to remember everything. As for a weakened body? That is something I have experienced before. Shouldn't be too much trouble as long as I can use my wits to survive. As the rightful seller you must include an insurance that if I do die, unwillingly young, you are liable. You were dishonest that you had the Memory Preserver once I found you the true love essence."

"Fine. Fine. Come back in ten years, before you reincarnate. I will do my best to formulate a standard elixir. Mind you, I have never seen a customer leave my shop unhappy. You will be pleased!"

"Hmph! Let's hope so!"

I let myself be caught by a Grim Reaper and allow him to take me back to the Underworld. Luckily, I'm not being punished because it is technically my first offense to venture off.

I want to meet with Ji Nian though. I have an important request to make of him.

I wait in line for almost a month before seeing him again. The Underworld really needs new system.

"Yo, Ji Nian."

He takes one look at me says, "What do you want?"

"You're so mean. Why are you so nice to your other clients?" I sit down while confronting him. Before my appointment, I had observed him speaking with an older gentleman with a soft tone and gentle face.

"Because you're unpredictable and have actually tried to harm me before."

"That... was an isolated case."

"What do you want?" He flips over pieces of documents and continues to read.

"I have a present for you!"

I see his face perk up curiously. He squints his eyes, doubting my kind gesture.

"Look. I bought this dark dirt drink that you like to drink from the Black Market. They've said it works the best at waking you up and energizes your entire body!"

"This! This is why I don't like you!"

"What?"

"You... You're so dense. You know going to the Black Market is illegal and you brought back contraband AND you told me so now I have to report you."

"Hmm... Well, just don't." It's not a big deal. I don't know why he is getting worked up.

"Just don't tell-- Okay. All right." He says sarcastically. "Is that what you had to see me for?"

"Ah, yes... I just wanted to get you a gift because... I think in all my times dying and reincarnating, you and Grandma are the only two constance I have. In a way even though we don't get along, you are sort of like my family. So thanks for always being there through it all, even though I'm not the best client."

He clears his throat, "You do know it's me job to always be there for you? Family... pfft."

I smile at his reaction. Ji Nian does that when he's happy with me. Plays it off like he dislikes what I say and do, but the red ears on him gives him away.

"I did have a request."

"Did you say all that just to butter me up?"

"No! That's my genuine heart. But another matter I was hoping you could help with is changing my face."

"You want a new face?"

"Yes. I went through other channels to receive what I wanted, but now I wanted to request this legally."

"Okay, I'm not even going to ask you what you did at the Black Market, but yes I can submit a referral for a face transplant and you'll have to pay the sumbmission fee and then for the actual procedure. Are you going for a completely new look or something popular? You know the face of Empress Shui is the trend nowadays."

"I don't want a beautiful, flawless face. Just something normal. Boring. Plain. So no one will pay attention to me."

"Very odd. You're odd. However, it can be done. The procedure should be ready by the time you reincarnate."

Oh my gosh! Quality service!

"I will wait patiently and do good until then!" I bow to him graciously and picked up my container of dirt.

Ji Nian whimpers, "Hey-- Didn't you get that for me?"

"Oh? Yes, thought you didn't want it. Here."

I haven't made edits but just wanted to publish this draft!

Lovely readers, any thoughts about our MC's new life that is about to begin?

What do you think will happen next?