Chapter 22: The Underworld - Realizing

Wu Yi Huai? Why did Kong Shuguang look so much like Wu Yi Huai? Was Kong Shuguang his reincarnation?

Back in the world of the spirits, I stood again in the long line waiting to meet with Ji Nian.

"What the hell? What the hell?" I screamed among the silent spirits. Glaring with annoyance, each one turned to observe me talking to myself.

Once I was out of the line, I fast walked over to Ji Nian, and over his desk I reached both my arms out, pulling onto his collar, I asked, "Just why in the hell did I meet with that snake Wu Yi Huai again?"

"Ca-- Calm down! Calm down, and let's talk!" He raised both his hands in the air. I let out an angry sigh and sat down in the chair.

Crossing my arms and fuming with anger, Ji Nian asked me, "What exactly happened?"

"Look at me? I died at the prime of my youth! I had so much to live for as a physician. Hey! Let me ask you. You said I was a good person last time, so why was I born blind? And then tortured to death?"

"Well, let me take a look at your file. Geez, attacking me as soon as you get here. What? Is it my fault you died..." he mumbled.

Tapping my foot impatiently, I waited for him to tell me what happened with my case.

"You bumped into something on your way down. That's why your eyes didn't work. Next time, don't drink too much of the Tea of Forgetfulness or your coordination will suffer."

I gave him a threatening look.

Well, how the hell was I supposed to know?

"Okay?" He added to appease me, "As for seeing the same man from your previous lifetime, I don't know why that occurred. Due to confidentiality, I cannot reveal out why he reappeared. I'll send a note to his case manager."

"But he's literally the reason why I died every time."

"Oh? Is he? Did he put a knife to your throat? No, he didn't. Besides if he really did kill you, he'd suffer his punishment once he comes back."

"I accumulated so many good deeds, and it's not worth anything until I die." I placed my face into my palms, frustrated by the system.

Ji Nian stared at me with a stone face, perhaps contemplating if it was worth being my case manager any longer.

"You don't look too sad about dying," he said.

"That's because I'm mad!"

"Manage a new soul, they said. They're easy, they said. I phht," Ji Nian mimicked spitting to the side.

"Hey! Just where can I make complaints around here?" I looked around the room at the other case managers who didn't care to look up from their desks.

Clearing his throat Ji Nian said, "Look, why don't you try cultivating in the next lifetime and become Immortal? That way you don't get to reincarnate again for a very long time, and I get a promotion? How about it?"

"Not a bad idea..."

"Here, I'll fill this out and send it up. You were a physician who treated the ill in this lifetime, this should do you some good to expedite the process. Happy? Please leave."

Tsk, so eager to dismiss me?

"I have a question," I said.

"What is it?"

"You keep saying I'm a new soul and the first one in thousands of years. Just where did I exactly come from?"

"Probably nowhere special."

I tilted my head and narrowed my eyes to stare at him. He was really testing my patience.

"New souls can be recycled souls of a bigger being. Maybe you were born of a dying deity."

"Well, I'm asking you to find out for me, okay?" With that, I walked off.