Chapter 125: Fifth Life - Swarm of Promises

"Yi Fei!" I cry entering Yi Fei's study at Invigorating Essence.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Standing from her desk, she approaches me as I wrap my arms around her tightly.

"I've made a huge mistake!" I wail loudly into her ears.

"Calm-- Calm down. Tell me what happened, I'll help you." She pets my back.

Sitting down, I tell her the story of getting ambushed by demons and how Yang Zi Huo forced me to stay at Bleak Night and then at the small village hut. I also relay to her the unfortunate reunion with Old Man Liu, how he threatened me with Chuju and everything. Yang Zi Huo helped me save her and then...

"What happened next?" She asks.

"And then... we arrived at Shuj Jing Mountain."

He took advantage of me!

No, that's not right... More like I was...

No! He purposely brought me to a place where there would just be two of us so that I would give into temptation and ravage him!

Ai-yoh! No matter how I think of how to say it, it just makes me look foolish.

"And then I ran here. I came because I want to use that favor you owe me now." I decide to spare her the details.

"I'll be happy to help you with anything at any time. I'm a bit sadden you didn't come to me to help with Chuju. After all, she did help take care of me, and I'm indebted to her."

"There was no time! It all happened so fast. Anyway, you have to help me."

"Fine. What is it you want me to help with?"

"Protect me from Yang Zi Huo."

She raises her eyebrows. "Why? Did something happen?"

"Just-- I don't want to be involved with him anymore. I have a bad feeling when I'm in his presence too long. You have to keep him away from me. Can you help me please?"

"Well, all right..." She is reluctant to agree. At least for now I have her word.

"Thanks."

I have a bit more room to breath easy. Thankfully, I was able to escape the clutches of that blue fire demon. After... after what happened, I'm afraid he's going to do something drastic. Like have me executed for touching--

For kissing--

Ah! Best to not say it! Or I'll just burn hot red in the cheeks and strangle myself to death.

Yi Fei has agreed to let me stay at Invigorating Essence for the time being. A day has passed since I'd last seen anyone from Bleak Night, and haven't heard from Chuju either.

Inside Yi Fei's chambers, I'm eating some desserts that she brought from the kitchen. I drink down the pastries with refreshingly cool and sweet soymilk.

"You have quite the appetite for someone on the run," she teases me. Raising a cup of water to her lips, she drinks.

"I have to eat my fill before I go off into another country where they don't have sweets as they do here," I say covering my filled mouth.

"I won't meddle in your affairs, but what exactly happened between you and Yang Zi Huo to make you come here when you were so angry with me?"

I'm about to take a bite of a sweet bun when she asked me that. The last time we met, I had gotten angry with her because of Yang Zi Huo, and now I'm talking to her again because of Yang Zi Huo.