Chapter 75: Fourth Life - Promises to Keep

"Master, why did you bring me here? I thought you said you would come by yourself." Trying my best to not look unruly, I held my hands together and stood at the side of his desk.

"You'll live here from now on."

"Live here?! Master, what have I done to anger you? Why must you keep me locked up in this cave? You know I hate caves!"

"Wait until I finish speaking."

I gulped down my fears of abandonment and tried to listen to Master's soothing voice.

"You'll be here no longer than a week. I just need to figure some things out in the mean time."

Firmly placing my hands over my ears, I imagined the darkness surrounding me, vicious growling echoing loudly in my ears, and the overwhelming stench of rotting flesh polluting my nostrils. With eyes closed and mouth mumbling, I could no longer hear Master.

"Don't leave me. I don't want to be here. Don't leave me. Don't leave me. I don't want to die." Over and over I kept muttering the same words. Shivering so intense, I could no longer control my thoughts, could no longer suppress the intense fear that locked down onto my words and actions.

I could hear it. The metal chain sliding across hard stone floor. I was being shackled again.

I was being left behind.

Two large hands placed lightly over mine. The coldness of skin allowed my breathing to become slow. Calmly whispering, I heard Master's voice once again.

"I'm not going to leave you here."

"You're going to abandon me like them."

"Rong Xin, calm down."

"I'm going to be all alone. I don't like it."

"I'm not going to leave you here by yourself. Rong Xin, haven't I always come to your rescue?"

Master... was right. He saved me from a beating in Yeguang city. He saved me from the Mantis Demon. He saved me from that demon's cave when everyone from Pingfan village betrayed me. Master was my savior.

Although I was loved my Mother and Father, I always felt bitter about my real parents leaving me all alone. Mother and Father's love for Chun Mei made me lonely. Ying Jun's love for Chun Mei made me lonely. My thoughts became unhealthy, and I started to resent Chun Mei a little, but I still loved her. So I bottled it all up. Kept it all inside. Hated myself for being undesirable. No one wanted me, but being at Bleak Night allowed me to have a different dream. A dream to grow and become a hero for myself, but I then realized that sometimes heroes like Master still need love too. I could learn to protect myself from demons and exact revenge on those who wronged me, but all I really wanted was for someone to love me.

"Master?" I opened my eyes to him standing in front of me.

I withdrew my hands from underneath his and placed them around his waist. Burrowing my head into Master's chest, my heart was at peace. Master slowly accepted my inappropriate embrace and put his arms around me as well, patting my back gently.

"Listen to me. To be very clear, both you and I will live here. I won't let you stay anywhere by yourself. Shui Jing Mountain is very tranquil. The only deadly demon here is me, and I won't-- I will never hurt you."

I nodded, brushing my head against his chest. Tears rolling down my cheeks. Master's cool body temperature alleviated the heat inside my head.

"Master?" I meekly called out to him.

"Mmm?"

"Promise you'll never leave me behind?"

"I promise."