Chapter 13: Second Life - Same As Before

"Lord Kong, I have a place I want to show you," I said to him in a sneaky voice.

I pulled him toward a path leading to a grassy overlook just a few miles from the way down the mountain. Just ten steps forward or else I would be too close to the edge. Letting go of his hand, I sat down on the soft patch of grass. Petting down on the place right next to me, I offered him a place to sit. I felt his warmth as he sat down, closing the space in between us.

"Mingxian, it's such a pretty view." I could tell he liked the view of the sunset from this point. Master brought me here before, explaining the sight of the sunset over the vast forest down below. I wanted to show Lord Kong the beautiful place I wished to see someday.

"The air itself feels airy and refreshing," I said. We didn't say another word to each other. I felt at peace being in this moment with Kong Shuguang as it felt like we were the only two existing in the world.

"Mingxian, if you could have your eyesight restored, what is the one thing you wish to see the most?" Lord Kong asked me out of the blue. I didn't know how to answer that.

I couldn't possibly just blurt out, 'YOU.'

"I guess see my Master? I've lived with him all these years and never seen his face," I answered.

"Would you be willing to leave this place to fix your eyes?"

Leave?

"I don't know. I've known this place my whole life and my Master is here."

I'm afraid I won't know how to live in a new place.

"If I said I wanted to help you get your eyesight fixed, would you leave with me?"

My heart wouldn't stay still. I could feel my ears getting hot. Just what kind of proposition was that? It wasn't marriage, but it felt so intimate.

Getting up on my feet, I spouted out, "It's getting late. Let's head back."

The way down the mountain was much more easy for Lord Kong to walk, so the entire way he let me lead without holding my hand. I was kind of upset about that.

Lord Kong walked with me back to the gates of Master's clinic. Before heading inside, I took off the basket and handed it to him. I bowed to him and bid him farewell.

The next few days, I didn't hear from Lord Kong. I was starting to think that we'd grown closer, but I didn't even meet with him anymore. Perhaps, I was too naive to think that he could possibly be interested in me.

"Xiao Wei," I called out to Xiao Wei from behind the desk in the clinic. He was sweeping the clinic floor while Master was in the back organizing the medicine.

"Yes?"

"Am I pretty?"

I heard a loud smack on the ground floor. Silly Xiao Wei had dropped the broom from his hands. Was he so shocked to have heard that from me? I was offended.

"Well, am I?" I was running out of patience. I'd never cared much for my appearance as I could not see my reflection. However, I wanted to know just how much weight of my overall beauty had on courting someone.

"Pretty... Yes, you're pretty." He sounded like he was just saying that because he was afraid I'd get angry.

"You're sure?"

I couldn't tell if he was nodding or just not replying.

"Tell me!"

"I'm-- I'm sure."

"Then do you think... do you think I'm pretty enough to get married?"

"Um, well, sure. Senior Mingxian, do you have someone you want to marry?"

"I don't want to tell you. Keep sweeping."

I would never tell anyone. It was too embarrassing. How could I? How could I have said that I, a blind, overlooked village physician wanted to marry the famous and beautiful Prince of Medicine, Lord Kong Shuguang?

The best way to get over him was to avoid him from now on, so that my heart would stop longing. I was not going to let one man get in my way of living.

It was Xiao Wei's turn to go out and gather medicine that day, and I was to run the clinic alongside Master. I was in the storage room checking on the stock of herbal medicine when I heard Master's voice from behind the curtain.

"Greetings, Lord Kong. What brings you here today?"

"Hello, Doctor Lu. If you don't mind I have some matters to discuss with you."

Holy shit, he's here.

Wanting to run away but also run to his side, I panicked. I was going to run away. Feeling my way quickly through the kitchen into the back courtyard, I whispered for Xiao Wei.

"What is it, Senior Mingxian?" He asked me in an indoor voice, but I felt like it was too loud and used my hand to cover his mouth. He struggled, trying to break free.

"Xiao Wei, I'll go gather medicine today, you stay here, okay?"

He broke free and cried, "Why couldn't you have just asked nicely?!"

"Oh, sorry."