Chapter 27: Third Life - Unforeseen Circumstances

"Na Li," Master asked for me. Sitting at her desk in the study, she appeared graceful and elegant. Although Master was probably as old as a granny, she had the face of a timeless beauty. Of course, that led to many men unjustifiably claiming her to be theirs as if she was a piece of property. Even as the most powerful woman in the pugilistic world, men didn't respect her. They would learn sooner or later.

"Yes, Master?" I walked over to her.

"I wanted to talk to you about something."

I fixed my posture and awaited for her to speak. 

"You're already fifteen, at the age when a normal young girl would think about marriage. Do you have any desires to fulfill that?"

She was testing me. I shook my head, "No, Master. I wish to serve you."

Looking pleased, she continued, "Good. You know of the ceremony coming up? For all the students in your cluster?"

"Yes."

"Since you are my student, I will explain to you the purpose of this rite. It is a tradition that our long ago predecessors have practiced. As an all women sect, we must always hold ourselves with pride and dignity, never allowing ourselves to become the subject of ridicule."

I nodded.

"As you are all reaching sexual maturity, the sect calls upon you to conduct yourself with high regards. To not bring upon shame and humiliation. Therefore, you must not engage in sexual activities or worse, fall in love."

Fall in love?

"If you betray the Fidelity Oath, the red mark of innocence on your body will vanish. If you fall in love and care for a man, you will be kicked out."

Nodding, I assured Master, "I understand, Master. I will not let you down."

The day of the ceremony came with the group of young students standing in rows. It was the first time for most of them to see Master. Along with two seniors, Master cast a ray of light over us, and the light divided itself into snake-like smoke that clouded our eyes. My head felt compressed and dizzy. We stood still for the entirety of the ceremony. Once it was over, just as Master told me, a red mark appeared on my inner forearm.

I was officially a respected disciple of Crimson Snow Valley. Whenever Master had business outside of the sect, she would have me go along. There were long sect meetings between the other Sect Leaders. I felt like falling asleep each time, and would have to pinch myself awake.

"The Demon Lord has been on hiatus these past few years..." said Sect Leader Song.

"We should still be on the look out," said Sect Leader Yin.

"Must we exert our forces?" asked Sect Leader Ma.

"His sect seems deserted," chimed in Sect Leader Xu.

"..." Master did not say anything nor did Sect Leader Qie of Invigorating Essence.

After the long meeting of going over the same things from the last long meeting, Master and I made our way down Tuan Jie Mountain, which belonged to Sect Leader Song, the unofficial leader of the united Jianghu.

We were on our way back to Crimson Snow Valley, but Master turned to me and said, "Na Li, you head back to Crimson Snow Valley. I have some other things to do."

"Yes, Master."

With that, she used her powers to accelerate her steps, and she was gone in a flash. Looking down the path she went, I felt compelled to wait for her, but following her orders, I walked back to Crimson Snow Valley.

After a few miles of walking, I heard voices shouting in the distance. Two men and a young child. Quickly, I ran toward the noise but observed the situation from a distance.

"Come here!" Roughly, the man grabbed the young child's arm and dragged her.

"Get away from me!" The young child tried to break free but was too weak. The child bit the balding man's hand causing a small drip of blood to draw from his skin. Yelling from the pain, the man threw the child to the ground. Lifting up his hand, he attempted to slap the child. A sudden urge in me kicked in like blood boiling about to explode. A rock sat in front of my feet, and I kicked it in the man's direction. The rock hit against his arm with dusts fluttering from the impact. They finally saw that I had been watching.