Chapter 183: Fifth Life - Stay with Me VI

"Yang Zi Huo? What's the matter? Where are you going?" I set down my cup of tea, watching the stern expression on his face.

"I have to leave. Please stay here." He rushes past, not even glancing at me once.

I grab his sleeve before he exits the study. "Where are you going? Did something happen?"

"Promise me you won't leave Shui Jing Mountain?" He turns around.

"I can't promise that if it means you'll be in danger."

"I won't be."

"What's going on? Did Bleak Night report something?"

"It's nothing I can't handle. I just need you to stay here where it will be safe."

"We are going together." I pull his sleeve close. With a piercing glare, I challenge his resolution to leave without me.

He removes my hand. Once again, the restless waves of dark blue in the reflection of his eyes pulls me under. While my heart is not at ease, he manages to shroud me in an embrace of calm.

"Yuxing... I don't want anything to happen to you."

Wrapping my arms tightly around him, I say, "Neither do I."

"Give me one day. If I do not return to you tomorrow, you can come for me at capital city."

"But--"

"Please. We have to try. Fate works against us. You know that. I have to go now." Blue flames rose from his feet, swallowing him into a glowing light. He is gone.

Capital city? Just what is happening there?

I gave him my word and will wait one day before finding him in capital city. If Yang Zi Huo must attend to the problem itself, I'm sure there is something incredibly big that could be endangering the lives of all within the Mortal Realm.

How could he make me wait for something like this?

Waiting for him to return, I'm pacing back and forth outside in the lavish courtyard embellished with a view of the forest down the sharp cliff. The day has gone and night has come when a falcon drops a jade bracelet from the sky. Seeing the glare of the silver encrusted design, I jump to catch it in my hand. It starts to radiate as a voice is heard.

"Yuxing? Yuxing, is that you?"

"Yes, it's me! Yi Fei, did you bring this bracelet to me?" I ask, weirdly talking into the beaming bracelet.

"Where are you?"

"I-- Yang Zi Huo told me to not leave Shui Jing Mountain."

"I see--"

I could hear chaos and roaring outcry on her end when she gets cut off.

"Yi Fei, where are you? Are you at capital city?!"

"I am. Invigorating Essence is providing aid to the infected and healing the injured. The city is under attack."

"Attacked by who?"

"Yang Zi Huo must have not told you. Wicked Mist is advancing with thousands of infected mortals to take over capital city. They are being controlled by someone from Wicked Mist."

"They really would do such a thing..."

Yi Fei hesitates to speak but then says, "I know my brother asked you to stay at Shui Jing Mountain, but I could really use your help, Yuxing. Your powers with the Marvel Sphere can slow down their advances."

I hear a loud explosion and shrieks of terror penetrates my ears.

"I'm on my way, Yi Fei."

I teleport inside the gate of capital city. Being back here... after all these years. That mortal life of the past seems so far away now.