Chapter 34: Third Life - Star Gem

"What are your orders, Master?" I asked with my head low and hands together, displaying my respect.

"I've heard that Sect Leader Song wishes to obtain the Star Gem that crashed into Shui Jing Mountain over hundreds of years ago. We must get it before he does."

Even though the Immortal Sects boasted unity, they were always competing with one another. If Sect Leader Song was sending people to retrieve the gem, then so must the other Sect Leaders. Thus, Master must be worried.

"Master, this Star Gem... How could it have form from just an asteroid crashing onto the mountain?" I wondered. How could something from the skies be created so mysteriously into a powerful and enticing ornament?

Standing up and walking over to the window, Master said, "Indeed, it was not a normal rock that crashed into the mountain. It is believed that the asteroid was made of unworldly materials and developed a essence that held unknown powers. As it crashed into the crystals of the mountain, it took on a new form and shined so bright... that its light blinded all those who tried to obtain it."

She turned around to face me, "Not only is the gem a powerful weapon, but the mountain has manifested itself into a prison for the Star Gem. Entering and leaving unscathed will be no easy feat. Therefore, I'm assigning you, my most capable disciple, to complete this task. Get the Star Gem for Crimson Snow Valley."

Immediately, I said, "Yes, Master!"

"And take that little student with you. The one that always hover around you."

Without realizing why, I felt a clog in my throat.

Just why was Master having me bring along Lu Kai?

"Master, I'm afraid her skills are much too low for this level of assignment. If Senior Yue was to come with me, I am sure we will return successfully."

"I need Yue here. Should you both fail, I would be losing two of my best disciples. I see potential in that little one. You've seen her skills. Tell me, do you think I am wrong for having her go along with you?"

"Master... is right. Her skills are definitely above the others for her age."

I couldn't stop Master from making Lu Kai go with me, but it was no matter. I would just have to to protect her from danger, although that would make the mission much more difficult.

"Senior Luo! Senior Luo! Can you believe it?! I'm finally going on an assignment! And it's with you!" Lu Kai's big eyes and friendly smile welcomed me as I walked through the courtyard.

With a gloomy expression, I turned to her, "You will not be going out to play. Don't treat it like something fun. I'm worried that I'll have to do the heavy lifting."

"Understood..." She frowned.

Continuing to lecture her, I said, "Shui Jing Mountain is not an easy place to venture. You must always be on guard and listen to what I say. Got it?"

"Aw."

"The other Sect Leaders will definitely send their best students... Only once a few years, the gem  will not shine to blinding capacity, which will take place soon. We must be cautious of the others."

"Okay."

"This can easily become a life and death situation. I do not want you to take it lightly."

"I get it..."

"I have many swords given to me by Master. I'll give you the River Sound Sword."

"Really?! River Sound is one of your favorites."

Of course, but nothing could beat my Meteor Sword.