➵ Chapter 2

Itsuki tapped her foot impatiently as the elevator slowly ascended. After hours of tedious travelling, she was finally arriving at the exam site.

Itsuki honestly didn't know how she felt about the exam. She was both nervous and excited.
Nervous because this could be the last day of her life. Excited because she thrives on the thrill of the unknown, the unknown of what awaits her in the exam, the hunter exam.

At last, the elevator came to a halt. The door slowly opened, revealing a spacious hall packed with applicants. They stared at Itsuki intently as she stepped out of the elevator. She scanned through the crowd of applicants, sensing an aura of malice.

Unaffected by the piercing stares, she continues to walk. Though she didn't get very far before she was stopped by a green bean in a suit.

"Hello, my name is Bean, the assistant of the chairman of the hunter association." The green bean introduced himself. "Welcome to the 287th hunter exam, please wear this tag at all times during the exam." The bean finished as he passed Itsuki a tag with the number #401 on it. Itsuki took it and pinned it on her shirt.

Itsuki looked around the room, examining the other applicants, she felt very uneasy. She was sensing an intense aura of bloodlust from somewhere, and the source seemed to be coming from #44, a tall muscular figure with Jester-like clothes and flaming red hair. As if he knew Itsuki was looking at him, he glanced back. A chill was sent up her spine. Itsuki quickly turned around, pushing her cap further down her face as she scurried off to the opposite direction, trying to get as far away from the creepy jester as possible.

Meanwhile, a man with a distinctive box nose approached Itsuki.

"Hello, you must be new! My name is Tonpa, what is your name?"

Itsuki looked at him up and down, she did not like the look of this man. "How did you know I'm new?"

"Well, this is my 35th hunter exam, so I know all the new faces." The man responded rather proudly.

Itsuki gave him a questioning look, where did the pride come from after failing 34 times?

"Well, you must be thirsty coming all this way to the hunter exam. Here, have some orange juice." Tonpa offered as he passed a can of juice to Itsuki.

Itsuki was almost certain this can of juice was poisoned judging by his feigned friendliness and his random offering of juice, but nonetheless she accepted the juice since she was actually thirsty. She peered at Tonpa as she gulped down the juice, and the smug look on his face only confirmed her suspicion. However, unfortunate for him, his dirty little trick would not pull off on Itsuki as he would have hoped. Itsuki smirked to herself, if only he knew that she was a Zalax, inherently immune to any sort of poison given by her power to heal.

Tonpa sneaked a smirk, "well, see you around!"

Itsuki couldn't help but roll her eyes heavenwards, she hated people like him. The sort of person that takes pleasure out of other's downfall. It disgusted her to the core, if it wasn't for that she wanted as little attention as possible in the exam, she would have punched him right in his already massive nose.

Itsuki leaned against a wall, bored out of her mind, when was the exam going to start?
Itsuki looked around the room, looking to see if anymore applicants joined. When suddenly, a certain albino caches her attention, it was a boy around her age, strolling around on his skateboard. He has fair skin, snow white hair and a pair of sapphire eyes. The boy stopped on his track as he brought out a can of orange juice and opened it. Itsuki, who recognised the can of juice and realising that the boy was going to drink it, immediately dashed into the direction where the boy was. Just as the can was about to make contact with his lips, Itsuki dived towards the boy, crashing straight into him. The force knocking both of them on the ground with Itsuki landing on top of him, the juice now splattered all over the ground.

The two laid there, unmoving.

Itsuki was first to move, she slowly lifted her head up, dizzy from the impact. "Made it just in time," Itsuki muttered in relief.

The boy too, began to stir. He opened his eyes. And there, he saw a pair of the most enchanting violet eyes.

They locked gazes, their face merely an inch.

"Can you get off me." The boy said nonchalantly.

"Oh... uh yes.... sorry." Itsuki stiffly climbed off the boy.

The boy looked at her up and down, waiting for an explanation for the unusual encounter.

Itsuki cleared her throat. "Well? Aren't you naive, skater boy. This drink is poisoned!"  Itsuki said with a all-knowing tone, feeling extremely proud for her judgement.

The boy sighed, "I knew it was poisoned. It was pretty obvious."

"Ehhh?! You knew?!" Itsuki questioned, feeling her self esteem getting flattened. "Hmm, then why did you drink it?"

"Poison doesn't affect me." He answered bluntly. "Why did you drink it if you know it was poisoned." He threw the question right back.

"You were spying on me?" Itsuki furrowed her eyebrows.

"No, I was spying on the guy that was handing you the drink which then I consequently saw you drinking it," he explained. "So tell me, why did you drink it if you knew it was poisoned."

His question was left unanswered as the wall opposite to the elevator started to shake violently, it slowly glided upwards, disappearing into the roof.

Behind the wall, was a bottomless tunnel and stood a lean man with lavender hair and a moustache. Itsuki assumed that he was the examiner.

"I apologise for the delay, thank you for waiting, the entry period of the 287th Hunter exam is now officially closed. My name is Satotz, your examiner for the first phase. We shall now begin the exam. But before that, one final word of caution. During the exam, there is a big chance that you will be seriously injured or even worse, dead. If you accept the possible consequences please follow me."