➵ Chapter 53

"...police are warning all local business owners to stay alert for any suspicious individuals as of lately two unidentified individuals have been caught vandalising public properties, including blowing up an entire section at the local arcade as well as causing destruction to a public seating area. Witnesses states that the two individuals acted erratically and without reason as they repeatedly smashed the table they were dining on, which was caught on camera by..."

Gon's head slowly turned to the two culprits standing just beside him, who stared blankly at the screen. The little motel room fell silent, only the news blaring in the background.

The voice then faded as the screen transitioned into a video clip. The recording didn't possess the best quality and was rather shaky, however perfectly captured the two figures throwing hands at a table. One throwing fists on the already obliterated table, the other with their toes out, stomping like there was no tomorrow. They looked deranged. And the lack of context this recording came with did not ease their case. The three teens continued to stare at the screen.

"...Investigation has now been launched and investigator have been actively trying to locate the suspects. It is suspected that this unlawful behaviour may have been triggered by previous illegal drug usage or the outburst may even be caused by underlying mental issu-"

Itsuki snatched the remote in a blur. The voice was then cut off by a click. The screen blackened. "Now that is just ridiculous." Itsuki huffed.

Gon continued to stare at them, not uttering a word, or rather not knowing what he even wanted to say to them.

Itsuki stared at Gon, who was still silent. But his expressive features seem to tell her everything he wanted to say. His slightly creased brow along with his round confused gaze perfectly summarised his confusion, bewilderment and concern for his two friends. And maybe even a tinge of disappointment.

"So... um how's greed island getting on?" Itsuki said sheepishly, trying to distract the current situation.

And thanks to the lord it worked as Gon immediately snapped back into his cheery self before eagerly explaining his new findings. "I nearly forgot to mention." He flashed a smile. "We might be getting somewhere."

The other two suddenly became awake, ears up, waiting for Gon's elaboration.

"Well, yesterday, while the two of you were gone me and Leorio did some calculating." Gon began.

Both Killua and Itsuki nodded in approval. "Impressive." Killua said quite honestly, never has he thought that either Gon and Leorio would associate themselves with calculation.

"We counted up our net worth including the three of us." Gon said as he pulled out a whiteboard that non of them knew existed. "Plus the earnings we've got from heavens arena..." Gon scribbled frantically on the mini whiteboard. "Plus all the pocket money Aunt Mito would wire me every month..."

"Uh actually." Killua interjected, putting his palms up in the air as an attempt to stop Gon. "Honestly you can keep your monthly 350 yen."

"No." Gon answered, looking serious. "If I ask Aunt Mito nicely she might double my pocket money this month."

Defeated, Killua coiled back, wearing an as-long-as-you're-happy expression.

"And all of that equals to..." Gon declared as he triumphantly finished writing on the board. With a spin, Gon revealed the long chain of numbers. "Somewhere around 3 million yen!"

Killua cocked his head at the revelation. "Gon, just heavens arena earnings we have 18 million-"

"Ah sorry Killua, forgot to add a zero." Gon shrieked before promptly scribbling an extra zero at the end of the number. "30 million. Which compared to the Greed Island price, which is billions, we're out of reach."

Killua sighed before opening a chocolate bar. "Gon we already know that. Tell us something helpful."

Gon scowled at Killua's remark. "And you could be more helpful by stop buying all these chocolates. Could've saved us a few million."

Killua couldn't exactly argue back so he only pulled a face, sticking his tongue at Gon only for him to return the favour. Itsuki sat back, snickering.

"It doesn't matter. No matter how much we save up, we won't be able to afford it." Killua took over and concluded. "Unless by some miracle my father immediately dies right now and I inherit all his money, otherwise we'll never be able to afford Greed Island. So this plan can be crossed out."

The other nodded, agreeing. "And not to mention, we're not the only ones going after for this game. We'll definitely not be able to outbid billionaires." Itsuki joined in.

"That's right. Leorio said that Battera, a very very rich guy is planning to obtain all copies in the election tommorow. He doesn't look like he's bluffing." Gon explained.

The other two agreed, and the air fell silent, a troubled look on each of their faces. Except Gon.

"That's why I have a plan B." Gon grinned, immediately grabbing the other's attention.

"Go on." Killua said.

"Well, this plan is heavily dependant on Battera." Gon's voice dropped low, as if he's about to drop the biggest secret in the world. "If everything Leorio said is true, Battera will be getting all twenty copies of agreed Island, PLUS the ones he already owns, he will be needing players."

Itsuki clapped her hand in realisation. "Players to complete the game. They're in need of powerful players. Preferably hunters."

Killua's face lit up. "Like us."

"Gon you little genius." Itsuki chirped.

Killua nodded. "Well done, rare when that spiky head of your comes up with something useful." He clapped Gon on the back, smirking.

Itsuki watched blankly as Gon smiled back. Not sure if Gon sensed the indirect insult or whether he couldn't be bothered to be mean back.

Nonetheless Itsuki joined in the small celebration, rocking back and forth along with Gon. "So plan B it is?"

"Plan B it is."

A/n
And then comes the training arc. Hopefully Itsuki gets stronger?