➵ Chapter 35

"No... I'm here to take Suki home."

The chewing stopped, Itsuki stared hard at Kai.

"I want to take you home." He repeated, this time directly at Itsuki.

"Kai. You know me well enough to have already guessed my answer." Itsuki said. "Kai, I-"

In an instant Kai dragged her out the room. Killua wanted to follow but was stopped by Gon, although who they couldn't stop was Shitto, darting off in her rat form after the two.

Kai dragged her along a whole corridor before he had finally stopped. He looked at her sternly, met with an equally stern gaze.

"Go home with me." Kai declared.

"No." Itsuki snapped.

"I won't accept it, you're coming home."

"No, I am not."

"Yes you are."

"No im not."

"You are."

"Not."

"You are."

"Not."

"I will drag you home if I have to."

"You won't last before we're even half way there."

"We'll see about that."

"No. We. Won't."

"Right then. It's decided, we're setting off tomorrow morning." Kai turned to go, ignoring Itsuki's protests. "Don't be late!" He called out.

Itsuki yanked him back in irritation, scowling at him.

Kai sighed. "Just why don't you wanna come home? That's where we belong, not here in the city life. I know you're here to search for an end to our curse but all I ever will tell you is that you won't find the cure, and you never will. We've lived with it for thousands of years, do you think it's something we can end? Come on Suki, you know all of this. Just what is keeping you from going back home?"

"Food." Itsuki blurted.

"..."

"No Kai, I'm not in the mood to be deep, or argue with you. So I'm going to say this once. You won't know unless you try. Plus I already have a lead and if I succeed in finding the truth behind the curse, I could save our whole clan. And if I fail, the worst that could happen is that our lives remains the same. I don't have a loss."

"You're wasting your time. That's the loss." Kai reasoned.

"Whatever you say, I'm not arguing with you." Itsuki stuck out her tongue before running off.

"Suki!" Kai shouted after her. "Come back here you little brat."

Itsuki laughed as she ran, pulling another face at him.

"You little..." Kai caught up to her.

And unbeknown to them, Shitto was watching from afar, weeping silently as their laughter faded in the distance.