➵ Chapter 3

The examiner meant it when he said to follow him. Everyone has been running for an hour now, and Itsuki has got to say, the examiner really do have a unique manner of walking. His steps barely touched the ground as he effortlessly strides forward.

For the past hour, Itsuki chatted with the boy she crashed into earlier, she learnt that his name was Killua.

"You know you still own me a drink." Killua said for the umpteenth time as he idly rode along on his skateboard.

"Killua, I already told you that I only knocked over your drink because Tonpa poisoned it." Itsuki argued back, exasperated.

"Still own me." He shrugged.

"Fine," Itsuki gave in. Killua gave her a cheeky smile.

"Hey you, stop cheating and get off your skateboard! This is an endurance test!" Someone yelled from behind.

Itsuki peered back, it was a man with navy blue suit that looked around his thirties.

"Leorio, the examiner only said to follow him, he didn't say it was an endurance test." A boy with black spiky hair responded as a blonde haired male nodded, agreeing.

"Gon, who's side are you on?" The man known as Leorio shouted.

"No one's." The boy answered as he lined himself with Itsuki and Killua. "My name is Gon, what are your names?"

"I'm Itsuki."

"Killua."

Itsuki didn't properly see the boy's face until now, and as she looked at him, a sudden surge of nostalgia washed over her. She doesn't know why, but she felt like as if she's seen him before, especially the determination in his eyes, it looked so familiar.

Killua flipped his skateboard, sending it flying into the air while landing on his feet, then catching the falling skateboard. All done in one swift motion. "Guess I'll run too."

"Woah," the two marvelled, completely ignoring Leorio's rant from behind.

"You two, how about we have a race?" Itsuki suggested.

"And the loser has to treat the winner a meal," Gon added.

"I'm in," Killua joined, a sudden enthusiasm arises within him.

"Okay, on the count of 3..."

"2..."

"1... GO"

All three of them bolted forwards, not holding back in the slightest. Their strides powerful, instantly pulling their distance away from Leorio and the blonde.

The examiner quickened his pace, causing some applicants to drop out. However, the three teens only got faster, accelerating after the examiner, equally fast.

"Gon, why did you come to the hunter exam?" Itsuki asked between pants.

"Well... when I was younger my father left me to be a professional hunter, and I always wanted to know what made my father so occupied that he chooses his job over his own son."

Itsuki was not expecting to hear that, she was amazed by his attitude, how there wasn't a single speck of hatred, just plain curiosity.

"So i wanted to see for myself what it was like to be a hunter and... eventually find my dad," Gon finished.

"I hope you find him," Itsuki gave him the best of wishes.

"What about you killua?" She asked.

"I was bored."

"....."

Itsuki waited for a few second for him to elaborate further. But he didn't. That was it, he was bored. Itsuki honestly didn't know how to feel about killua's answer after hearing about Gon's inspirational and rather emotional answer. What a contrast. But Itsuki guessed that different occasions brought different people to the hunter exam. For some people, they just came here for the entertainment or simply because they wanted to. But for some others, they have an underlying purpose that forced them to. Maybe Killua was one of the few people that had a fortunate enough childhood that allowed him the choice to decide his own life. Or at least that's what Itsuki thinks.

The end of the tunnel was near as a beam of dazzling light shone ahead of them. Itsuki couldn't describe how glad she felt, they were finally arriving after running hours in the dark, damp tunnel. However the joy of seeing light did not overpower the grim of the looming flight of stairs that was also just ahead. Itsuki inwardly groaned, feeling exhausted just by the thought of the staircase. However, remembering the little race she agreed to, a burst of energy rebooted her, pushing her forward. The same seemed to happen to Gon and Killua as both of them also accelerated. They sprinted up the stairs, the ray of light became nearer and nearer. The three leapt into the sunshine, crossing the finishing line.

"I Win!"