➵ Chapter 34

"Gon... who's that?" Killua mumbled, his voice barely audible yet held utmost authority. He watched the scene in silence, while a strand of jealousy slowly overtook all of his senses.

Gon watched apprehensively, Killua's eyes were practically drilling into Kai, not to mention the pure rage seeping out of him.

Gon gulped unconsciously. Out of everything he has been through, from waiting for his legs to be broken when fighting the bald ninja, all the way to fighting head on with Hisoka, Gon never thought he would say the most terrifying thing that happened to him would be this exact moment. Boy, Killua looked like he's ready to absolutely destroy Kai. And it was not an exaggeration. If rage ever had a physical embodiment, the Killua in current state would be the closest being.

Before Gon had gathered enough brain cells to figure out how the hell he could prevent the impending murder that sure as hell will go down in history, Killua began his steps towards the two.

Immediate panic struck Gon as he hurried after Killua and began spluttering, attempting to explain that Kai was just a childhood friend. But Killua was in no mindset to listen, all he could focus on was the hand laying boldly on Itsuki's very own hands.

Every step he took became heavier. And no matter how hard Gon yelled into Killua's ear, he didn't stop.

Until, when one particular voice sounded and immediately managed to break through Killua's mental barrier.

"Killua!" Itsuki exclaimed excitedly before throwing herself on Killua. "You're finally back! I have so much to tell you!"

And just like that, all the worry and jealousy Killua experienced earlier vanished.

But boy, the tables turned. It was now Kai's turn to question who the appearance of this new guy is, who seemed very close Itsuki.

"Didn't know you would miss me this much." Killua said smugly, half of it was intended for Kai to listen.

Itsuki elbowed him, "Lions, give me a share of your confidence." She joked. "Ah! Killua! Let me introduce you to Kai!" She dragged Killua to Kai. "This is Kai! I grew up with him!" She chirped.

The moment they made eye contact, the air seems to suddenly freeze. Gon could almost smell the intense hostility and pure despise both parties had for the other. The two stood their ground as they openly stared at each other.

Seconds passed by, and Kai was the first to break off their gaze. He feigned a bright, amiable smile. He extended his hand. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Killua."

Killua eyed his hanging hand. And decided that it wouldn't exactly look good on him if he refused his handshake, despite knowing fully well their shared hatred.

Killua mirrored Kai's expression and smiled charmingly, shaking his hand. "The honour is all mine, Kai."

Their face maintained friendliness, as the handshake gradually became tense as both applied more and more pressure.

"Soooo K-Killua, did you find out where Itsuki could stay?" Gon interrupted, successfully pausing the tension before any hands are broken.

"Speaking of that, Kurapika said he has a place for us." Killua said. "Oh; and.." He threw a bag over to Itsuki.

Itsuki opened the bag. Inside were packed with wigs and clothes. She looked at Killua for further instruction.