➵ Chapter 33

"Sweet baby lions." Itsuki gawked in disbelief. "K-Kai?!"

She rubbed her eyes, not believing the sight in front of her.

But there he was, alive and real, smiling that toothy smile she had always remembered.

"Suki..." And before he got to say another word, Itsuki jumped into his embrace, knocking him onto the ground. "KAI!! IT'S REALLY YOU!" Itsuki yelled, squeezing him like there was no tomorrow.

"SUKI, I'M SERIOUSLY GOING TO DIE." Kai choked, struggling against Itsuki's hold.

"Sorry!" Itsuki immediately lets go, smiling at him apologetically.

They locked eyes, and there was an instant rush of nostalgia running through them. It was Kai alright, she didn't have a doubt in her mind when she stared into his eyes, the pair of eyes exactly how she remembered, gentle yet full of life.

Although apart from that, nothing else looked the same. Itsuki circled him, looking him up and down. "My, just what happened to you."

"It's called a glow up." Kai winked.

"Damn, you've even grown abs?!" Itsuki beamed, feeling his stomach. "You're no longer that bony little kiddo I know huh?"

Kai flushed a crimson red, flicking away Itsuki's wandering hands. "When was I ever a kiddo?! If anything, you're the kid." Kai argued.

"Eh? Need I remind you the time when my pet dragon licked you, and you were so scared that you didn't dare coming to my cave for a whole month?" Itsuki grinned teasingly.

"T-that's in the past!" Kai's blush worsened. "Y-you're still as annoying as I remember."

Itsuki laughed.

Although her chirpy attitude did not last.

"Crap." Itsuki froze. "I forgot about Gon!" She hurriedly got up, slapping herself on the forehead. How could she forget? She was having a nice little reunion while Gon was out there fighting for his life.

"Are you okay? Who's Gon?" Kai's questions were left unanswered as Itsuki grabbed onto Kai before sprinting away.

Gon just about finished knocking out the last enemy when he saw Itsuki rushing over to him, dragging someone he did not know.

"Itsuki!" Gon waved. "Eh, and you are?"

"He's Kai, my childhood friend!" Itsuki introduced excitedly. "I grew up with him!"

"Ehh?!" Gon exclaimed, bewildered at the sudden appearance. "So you're a Zalax as well?"

And in a blink of an eye, Gon found himself pinned firmly against the wall with a knife pressed against his throat. "You know our identity." Kai murmured, his eyes no longer gentle.

"Kai! Stop!" Itsuki yelled, rushing to the two. "He's a friend!"

"Friends betray you." Kai muttered.

Itsuki pulled onto Kai's arm, "Gon isn't like that! Kai! Let go of him!"

Kai pressed the knife further in, staring right into Gon's eyes. "I'll kill you."

Gon did not move. He remained composed as he stared at Kai right back.

Kai smiled, dropping the knife. "Just kidding~ I wouldn't do that." His friendly attitude returned, as if nothing have happened.