➵ Chapter 29

A stall, filled with tubes of white liquid on display. The display board painted with big flashy letters, "Blood of Zalax. On sale."

A middle aged man was behind the stall, busy taking in cash as he handed out tubes to the crowd.

It wasn't the first time Itsuki saw merchants attempting to sell fakes of the Zalax blood. In fact there were countless businesses that attempted to make profits off the Zalax. Though barely anyone would fall for it. It had been a while since Itsuki saw one of the merchants in action.

But why are they suddenly back at it again? And why are people falling for it? There was a whole crowd surrounding the stall.

Killua and Itsuki shared a look.

"Itsuki, you go and get a sample of that stuff. I'll find out what this is all about." Killua mumbled.

And there they go. Itsuki forced her way into the crowd while Killua stayed out.

Killua pinpointed a man beside him.

"Hey Mister, I wouldn't bother if I were you, I'm pretty certain that the tubes are fake. I heard the Zalax isn't real." Killua said in his innocent tone.

The man faced him, "Son, you haven't seen the news have you. The creature is out there. And sure this is likely fake, but you gotta take the chances. This stuff is worth anything out there."

Killua furrowed his brows.

Itsuki suddenly popped out of the crowd and crashed into him. She stayed in the position as she whispered to him, "It's fake alright. I couldn't get any but I was close enough to tell that it's fake."

The news didn't ease Killua one bit. He grabbed hold of Itsuki and rushed out, telling her about what the man had said earlier.

Itsuki was hardly listening. Her thoughts were zoned onto the image of the crowd, and how eager they were to lay their hands on what they thought was her clan's blood. It horrified her to think. She was sure that if they were to find her clan, they would drain every last drop of their blood. She shook her head violently, forcing away her thoughts.

She looked around her surroundings, she was so deep in thought that she didn't even realise Killua had dragged her into a store. She gazed at Killua, who currently held onto a newspaper.

"Substance suspected as the blood of Zalax found in local merchant's house." Killua read the title. "The substance has been tested and confirmed to possess healing properties. Scientists has been working on the liquid and disclosed it indeed originated from a human body. Furthermore, scientists was shocked to discovery blood cells the colour of white in the unknown substance. This all seems to fit the property of the mythical clan that have only lived among the rumours. Could they be more than just some rumours?"

"What? This can't be..." Leorio said as he re-read the newspaper.

"It's there. Black and white." Killua responded.

Gon peeked at the newspaper, "Itsuki, have you ever donated your blood to anybody?"

Itsuki shook her head. "Never. I know the consequences. I have no idea what this is about."

Silence. They didn't know what to make out of the situation.