➵ Chapter 46

Look who updated and didn't disappear for a whole month

Itsuki's pov

The opening to the vent popped open. And a small blob fell form the opening. The thing landed with a little plop. Now I was getting angry, I recognize that little thing anywhere. "Shitto. Are you spying on me?"

She transformed back to her human form, her head low.

"So?" I said, waiting for an answer.

She looked to the side, then to the ceiling, then to the ground. She was looking everywhere but the direction of me. Right now, she couldn't resemble less than a rat. Timid and small.

She mumbled something I couldn't catch.

"You're not a rat anymore. Speak up."

"I was just looking for Kai."

And then I was reminded of another unhappy incident. Kai still isn't found.

"Um, you think Kai is up in the vents?"

"I-I." Her voice was still barely audible. "No, it was just easier to sneak into the rooms. I can't find him anywhere... and I don't mean to spy on y-you. I just happened to be here..."

"Whatever." I turned to go, not wanting to waste anymore time.

"Wait!"

That was the loudest noise she made today.

"What." I turned to her.

"Look. I meant to say this before." Her voice was a bit louder. "I'm sorry."

I raised a brow at her.

"I've made a mistake. I really didn't mean to nearly get you killed. I was dumb. I was jealous of you. And I know what I've done cannot be forgiven and-"

"Shitto. It's okay. I've forgiven you."

And now I understand why she's acting so weirdly.

She was surprised. "You can't just forgive me when-"

"You've came back to rescue me didn't you? Your action of coming back to save me is enough. We're even." I gave her a weak smile. "But doesn't mean I like you though. You're still a bitch."

Somehow, she laughed. "How straightforward."

I shrugged. "You must have some sort of quality for Kai to allow you to stick around. And I trust him."

"Don't worry. I won't be sticking around him any longer." She said.

She then gazed into what seems like empty space. But I can't help but notice the almost tangible sadness.

"Kai had pitied me when he found me on the verge of dying."

"Wait. Wait. Wait." I shamelessly interrupted, sensing an upcoming sad monologue which I do not need right now. "Please. I'm sorry but I really don't need a whole backstory right now."

"Please. Let me finish."

"And after that, I followed him wherever he went. I craved for his care and affection back then. It was something I've never felt before, and mistaken it for love. Even though I knew, I didn't care. I needed it. And I thought you were going to take that away from me. I was afraid of being abandoned again. But I've moved passed that now. And I think I have been enough of a nuisance to Kai. I'll be going."

I didn't speak for a few seconds.

"I wouldn't say you're exactly a nuisance." Was the best reply I could think of.