➵ Chapter 4

"I win."

"No, I win."

"No, you two got it wrong, I win."

The three argued, all believed that themselves have won.

Itsuki, who realised that they will never come to a result, decided to ask the examiner, Satotz, who arrived before them. " Excuse me, Satotz-san Who did you see that crossed this line first?"

Satotz thought for a moment. "I believe all three of you crossed the line at the same time." He concluded, settling the arguing at once.

"Hm, so who's gonna treat who?" Itsuki asked.

"I know, so first killua will treat me and Itsuki. Then I will treat Itsuki and killua. Then Itsuki is going to treat me and killua!" Gon blurted out in one single breath.

Itsuki's heart melted at how wholesome and adorable Gon was. It was like he was moulded straight out of a fairytale.
Must protect at all cost.

Time marched on as more and more applicants showed up, including Leorio and the blond that Itsuki didn't get to introduce to.

At last, time was up and the exit of the tunnel began to close, shutting out the slower contestants.

Itsuki looked around, there was an obvious decrease in number. About a half did not make it.

Satotz began, " the only route to reach the destination of the second phase is through the swindler's swamp, a swamp filled with deadly man-eating animals that masters in deceiving humans. So please follow close behind if you don't want to be deceived."

"What a joke. Who would be deceived if we already have been warned about it." Itsuki heard Leorio mumble.

"DON'T BE FOOLED!" A voice shouted from behind. Everyone turned their heads to the source of the voice. A man covered in bruises limped out of the corner. " D-don't fall for it. He's lying to all of you!" The man shouted as he pointed at Satotz.

Satotz didn't have any sort of reaction, he just stood there, watching as the man raved on.

"He is an imposter, I am the real examiner."

"An imposter? What's going on?" Leorio said as he looked between Satotz and the man.

"Look at this..." the man said as he dragged out an unconscious monkey-like creature that somewhat had the resemblance of Satotz. Gasps erupted in the crowd. "This is his true form, a man faced ape is like any other creature in the wetlands, they love human flesh. But they are weak in strength, so they would trick humans into following them into these wetlands where they would team up with other creatures and kill them."

Another set of gasps travelled through the crowd.

"No wonder he walked so weirdly, he isn't even human." Itsuki vividly hear a bald ninja say. Looks like everyone is buying it, but Itsuki knew better. It wasn't hard for her to tell which one is fake. She could sense the powerful aura that radiated off Satotz but none in the other man, and that was enough to prove that Satotz is the real examiner.

Just as everyone was debating whether or not to trust this man, three cards flew in the direction of both Satotz and the man. For the man, he doesn't seem to even realise until the three cards have already made contact with him, penetrating into his guts. He collapsed to his death.

Satotz, on the other hand, expertly catches all three cards. Unfazed, he tossed away the cards.

Meanwhile, the supposedly 'unconscious' monkey the man dragged out opened its eye and scurried off, screeching.