➵ Chapter 5

"Are you a Zalax?!"

"Well..." Itsuki faltered, hesitating if she should tell the truth. Last time when she revealed her identity, the people that found out tried to sell her.

"Would you believe me if i said no?" Itsuki attempted with a hopeful expression.

"NO." They all said in union.

Itsuki sighed at her stupidity, why on earth did she think they were going to believe her. Guess there is no other way out except telling the truth. Lying won't be any good since they already saw the process of healing.

"Ok... yes, I am a Zalax." Itsuki admitted.

"So it's all real? Living on a cliff face and all?" Killua questioned earnestly.

"Yes... and to answer your question from earlier about why I drank Tonpa's juice knowing it was poisoned. Well, as I possess the blood to heal others, I can also heal myself, so I'm practically immune to poison."

They stared at her, amazed.

"Then what are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be with the rest of your clan?" Kurapika asked.

There's no going back now.

Itsuki began the tale. She told them about everything, from her mother's death to the inescapable curse, how everyone would die at the age of thirty one and how she promised to protect her people.

Every sentence she told, a memory emerged. The laughters, the tears, the joy of her childhood, the agony of finding out the truth. Every memory ached, it felt like she was reliving her life all over again. All the emotions that Itsuki hid deep inside her was beginning to run loose. She squeezed the hem of her shirt as she finished. "... and here I am, searching for the man." Itsuki ended with a faked optimism, forcing back all her emotions as her fists tightened.

Kurapika noticed her smiling facade. A familiar sadness invaded him. Kurapika knew how she felt, the excruciating pain of losing your close ones, he knows it more than anyone else. He sympathised Itsuki, for he shared a similar past, experienced the same tragedy. He doesn't want anyone to experience what he had been through, Itsuki doesn't deserve this, no one does.
Even if the damage cannot be undone, he secretly vowed to protect her.

"Applicants, phase two will start shortly, please make your way to the site." Satotz announced.

"Well, let's go." Itsuki said. She paced off, pulling the distance away from the group.

Lions, what did she just do? She literally just revealed her entire life story to a bunch of dudes that she just met. She cursed at herself. What was she thinking? Did she not learn her lesson when she last revealed her identity? Now great. She has to keep her guard up whenever she's around them.
Though subconsciously, she wasn't at all worried. For some reason, she trusted them. She didn't know why, but she felt safe around them. Nonetheless, she told herself to stay on guard.

Gon, killua, Kurapika and the now awoken Leorio followed behind Itsuki from a distance. Gon was worried about her, for he too noticed the unusual sadness in Itsuki.
"Itsuk-" Gon's voice was quickly stopped by Kurapika.

"Gon, I think it would be best if we give her some alone time, she needs it." Kurapika adviced.

Killua nodded in agreement.

"But wouldn't it be better if we accompanied her?" Gon asked.

"Not in this case, after all we are just some strangers she has just met, if I was in her spot I wouldn't want anyone to see my weak side." Killua explained, speaking out Kurapika's thoughts.

"Alright."

"Lions, these pigs are huge." Itsuki said amazed.

"Sure they are." Kurapika agreed.

"So that's the type of pig the examiner wants" Leorio realised.

"I knew it wouldn't be that easy." Killua asserted.

"Mhm." Gon nodded, gazing up at the humongous creatures.

The little group were now at the Visca forest, the location of the second phase. The two examiners for second phase were Gourmet Hunters, Menchi and Buhara. The examinees were asked to hunt down any type of pig found in this forest. However what they didn't know was that the only specie of pigs that inhabits in this forest were the world's most dangerous type of pigs.

Itsuki and the others began to attack. Striking the creature in every angle, however all their efforts didn't even land a scratch.

Itsuki sat down, panting. Frustrated because she couldn't find any weaknesses. Are those pigs invincible? Her question was quickly answered as she saw an apple fell out from its tree and landed right on a pig's forehead, causing the pig to collapse. Itsuki sprang up to her feet.

"Guys! Attack their heads!" Itsuki shouted.

And then, it was harvest time. Almost every pig in sight was taken down, reappearing on the grills.

Itsuki coughed at the smoke, struggling with the equipments.

As a Zalax, a human that have only ever feasted on herbs, she had no idea how she was going to cook the pig. She simply copied everyone else and placed the pig on top of the fire.

A few moments later, Itsuki put out the fire, smiling at her finished work.

"Okay... cooking is actually kind of easy." Itsuki announced triumphantly.

Killua, who was on the grill next to her, peered at her pig and bursts into laughter.

"Oi, why are you laughing at me." Itsuki demanded, frowning.

"Y-you c-call that cooking?!" Killua said between laughters while pointing at Itsuki's burnt pig that was the colour of coal.

"What?! It looks fine."

"I-it literally l-looks like a pile o-of pig s-shaped ashes." Killua said truthfully, still laughing.

Itsuki stared at the pig in front of her, gave it a little touch and the whole pig crumbled into a pile of ashes.

Killua roared with laughter.

Kurapika and gon, hearing killua's laughter, looked behind and saw the same pile of pig ashes. They couldn't help but also chuckle at the scene.

Itsuki sat down, sulking.

She thought she was doing fine...