➵ Chapter 9

After Leorio was done with his "checking" he came back to their platform, and he was not welcomed. In total, he had lost 50 betting hours.

"Who's up next?" A criminal shouted across the chamber.

"Can I go next?!" Itsuki pleaded eagerly, which they all agreed.

A mechanical pathway slides over the bottomless ditch and connects to the arena. Itsuki and a criminal walks to the centre, the pathway glides back where it came from. Now, they cannot leave the arena.

The man had tousled brown hair, a normal build and the cockiest face Itsuki had ever seen.

"Let's not be violent. My game will be a simple game of tag." The man began. "One player will be the chaser and the other will be the runner. The time limit will be 30 minutes, however for every contact the chaser makes with the runner, an extra 30 minutes is added to the timer. But if the time runs out, the runner wins." The man finishes.

How cunning. Itsuki thought. If the man was the chaser, he could easily steal hours of time.

"Interesting," Itsuki muttered. "But who will be the chaser?"

The man didn't respond straight away as he brought out two black cards, he flipped the two cards around, revealing two colours, one card was red and the other was blue. He flipped the cards back around. "Red or blue?"

"Red," Itsuki replied.

"Now pick a card, if you manage to draw out the red card, then you shall be the chaser, and if you draw out the other colour, you shall be the runner."

Itsuki walked up to the man. She looked at the two cards indecisively. This was crucial to the game, because if she was the one being chased, her chance to win would be little to non since they are both stuck on this tiny arena surrounded by a bottomless trench. There will be nowhere to escape to.

She wavered between the two cards, praying that she doesn't pick the wrong one. Although, little does she know, no matter which one she chooses, she was going to end up picking the wrong one. Because what she didn't know was that both cards had a second layer. Behind the red card, the second layer was blue. Behind the blue card, the second layer was the colour red. So, as Itsuki chose the colour red, the man would just simply peel off the red layer so that both cards are blue.

She finally decides on a card, and as expected, it was blue. This meant that she was the runner.

This was going to be difficult, she backed a few steps away. Looking around, there was barely any room to run to.

A timer appeared on the screen above them, 30 minutes remaining.

The timer began.

Immediately, the man dashed in front of Itsuki to which she dodged and sprinted to the opposite direction. The man followed closely behind, with a stretch in the arm, he tapped her on the shoulder.

30 minutes added. The timer went up to an hour.

With a bolt, Itsuki turned to the other direction. But so did the man, soon she was trapped in a corner.

Itsuki took a step back, now at the very edge of the arena, she peered down to the seemingly endless pit. She gulped, at this rate she would lose the rest of the time to him. She needs to think of something, quick.

"It's no use." The man wore a lopsided smile. " You don't stand a chance as the runner. There is no where to hide on this small platform." The man inches closer.

Itsuki scanned around her, hastily looking for any possibilities to escape. Until suddenly, an idea shot through her mind.

Itsuki smirked at him as she jumped off the arena.

Everyone gasped.

Itsuki on the other hand was calm. Free falling to around a few metres, she grips onto a faint crack on the wall that supported the arena. And there, she hung in the air.

Killua smiled at her idea. "Brilliant, Itsuki. As a Zalax, she climbs and hangs herself on cliffs on a Daily. If she hangs herself on that wall, then the chaser wouldn't be able to reach her." Killua thought out loud.

"Yes, She can easily win!" Gon added.

The man peered down at her, dumbfounded. He couldn't reach her, this wasn't suppose to happen.

But he didn't lose his cool, he'll just wait until Itsuki runs out of energy and falls to her death, there's no way a little wimpy girl could hang on to a faint crack for a whole hour; that was what he thought.

Soon, time was up. With a swing, Itsuki shot back up. Triumph written all over her face. She has just won an impossible game.

The man kneeled down, truly and utterly defeated. "H-how..."