2.8.5

Chapter Thirty: No Mercy

"Sick intuition that they taught us, so we won't freak out. We hide our figures, doing anything to shut their mouths. We smile away to ease the tension so it don't go south. But there's nothing funny now."

~Boys Will Be Boys by Dua Lipa~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 16, 2022

Warnings: abuse, anxiety, depression, domestic violence, language, panic attacks, sexual harassment/assault, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I skate around with Miguel a few hours later. Tory is working and insisted we hang out until she has a break. I feel a bunch of people watch me as I skate and not because I'm good or bad, but because of the costume. I know I look really sexy, but sometimes the stares I notice give me an uneasy feeling.

"I bet I can skate faster than you," Miguel tells me as we take a break on the side.

"Oh, really?" I challenge.

"Last one to the other side buys the winner a milkshake?" 

"Bet," I smirk.

"One... two... three."

I push off of the wall lining the rink and skate as fast as I can to the bar on the other side. I glance to my side and see Miguel neck-in-neck with me.

I'm sure to avoid the little kids skating to the outer edges of the circle. I'm so close to reaching the bar that I hold out my hands to catch the bar.

I fall into it and grab the bar as my torso slides under the bar until I can pull myself back up.

"Yeah," I pant as I grab my balance and look at Miguel, "I'm faster."

Miguel groans, "Fine, fine, I owe you a milkshake."

I smile victoriously until I remember my dates with Robby to get milkshakes. I try to suppress the thought as we continue skating around.

I have my dad's leather jacket on and Miguel also has his jacket on because the rink is a little drafty and cold. He's dressed as Michael Jackson, which I think is awesome; his jacket low-key outdoes mine.

Okay, that's a lie. His jacket is amazing and looks so much better.

"Do you want to see what time she's going on break?" Miguel asks me.

"Yeah, sure," I say.

We make it over to find Tory and I see she's talking to some customers.

"What time do you go on break? I wanted to time it out so the fries are extra crispy," Miguel asks her. She looks amazing in her Madonna outfit.

It's then that I see she side-eyes for us to look at the couple she's talking to. I turn and see the people I didn't expect to see at all: Robby and Samantha LaRusso.

"Oh, um... I didn't recognize you. I... dig the costumes," Miguel is nice.

I share a look with Robby. I didn't even mean to meet his eyes, but here we are. I hate that he's here with Sam, but not because I'm jealous; it's just that he could do so much better than her.

"Thanks," Samantha says.

"Uh, Tory, this is Sam and Robby," Miguel introduces them.

Tory shares a glance with me that says "this is Robby?" to which I nod.