Christmas Special: 1.8.5

"Don't buy me nothing 'cause I am feeling one thing, your lips on my lips. That's a merry, merry Christmas."

~Mistletoe by Justin Bieber~

⭒⭒⭒

A/N: Okay, okay, so I really wanted to do some kind of short Christmas special chapter because I'm still delayed on regular updates because I've been sick.

First of all, Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or whatever you celebrate, if you do.

Secondly, there are a few things that may seem "inaccurate" in this little 1,000 word chapter. A: "Moskowitz" lends itself to a Jewish background, but I know I couldn't write an authentic Hannukah experience as someone who was raised Christian. So, I hope you understand. B: This chapter is between episodes eight and nine of season one, but the timeline there is iffy overall from when winter and spring are so just go with this haha.

Thirdly, remember that at this point: Z and Eli haven't said "I love you" or announced their relationship directly or been super intimate, Z hasn't seen Robby again, the first tournament hasn't happened, and her mom kicked her out only a couple months ago.

Elion in the beginning was so pure, though, so here's my gift to you.

⭒⭒⭒

"Z, you ready?" Eli peeks into my room. "Wow."

I turn from the mirror, "Almost. Sorry." I finish putting my earrings on. 

"You look so hot," he tells me. 

I smile, "You look handsome, too." He really is dressed up nice, and his mohawk is down for tonight per his mom's request.

"I feel weird," he says.

I walk over to him and brush the hair out of his face, "Remember that your hair doesn't define you."

"Whatever," Hawk rests his hands on my waist. 

"You know I kind of like it like this," I grin up at him.

"Thanks," he says softly. "I don't wanna go to this stupid service."

"Your mom said you enjoy the Christmas Eve service every year," I remind him.

"Yeah, the old me. The new me doesn't want to sit through some boring thing when we could be partying."

"Everyone else is going to church, too, remember? Miguel, Aisha-"

"Demetri, yeah, yeah," he frowns. "I wish we were all at least going to the same church."

"It's going to be okay." I gently peck his lips for reassurance.

"Well, are you sure you're okay with this?" he wonders.

"Yeah, it's okay. Your mom seemed excited," I shrug.

"You said you're not religious, though, right?"

"Hawk," I level with him, "I'm doing something nice with you and your mom after a couple months of you letting me stay with you. This is the least I could do." He frowns. "Besides, I'm only attending, not converting."

I've never had a real experience with religion, at least not one that counted. My parents never engaged in religious activities, and I was only exposed through the school system. I like celebrating Christmas, but I don't really care about the whole story of it all.