0.8.5

Chapter Negative Eleven: Three Days

"You made my perfect picture look like black and white. I know I've never seen my colors so alive. With you around, I know that we're gonna be fine."

~Perfect Picture by Bea Miller~

⭒⭒⭒

Warnings: abuse, addiction, biphobia/homophobia, death, domestic violence, hospitals/medical things, language, slight smut, substance abuse, underage drinking, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

"I wish I knew all the constellations like you do," I look up at the night sky in awe.

"You say that every time we come out here," Dad chuckles. "You just need to make time to learn."

"I know that one is the Big Dipper," I point slightly to the right of us in the sky.

"It sure is," my dad nods proudly.

We sit in silence another moment and just stargaze. The moment is peaceful and pure and my heart is full. There's something so magical about our backyard.

"I'm really glad we could do this again," I admit.

It's been a week since he was diagnosed with stage four. The survival rate is less than fifteen percent over five years. The doctor was honest with us and said he isn't sure how many days, weeks, months, or years we have left with him. All we know is that his condition is worsening and he wants to spend as much time with me as possible.

Robby comes back into town tomorrow, so my balance between him and my dad will be a bit hard to juggle. I know Robby will understand, but my time with him is also dwindling. This will be our last weekend and I want it to be special.

I also want to hang out with my dad. Everything I do is because of him and I can't act like he's normal. I'll be normal with Robby to save our weekend, but alone is when I can try to cope. I'm not alone much, but I strongly intend to make something work.

"You can always count on the sky," he smiles as he tilts his head up from his wheelchair.

He's on oxygen now and is wired in, so he can't travel without it and he can't walk anymore; it's safer this way.

"Look up and remember me, okay, Star?" he glances over at me.

I feel myself tear up. I still can't grasp the reality of the situation fully. He's already acting like he's dead, but he's only two feet away.

"Zion?" he says and I turn to face him now. It's weird hearing my real name since he calls me "Star" so often. "I want you to always remember I'm here for you."

"Mhm," I nod to acknowledge him. If I speak, I know I'll break down and ruin what's supposed to be a gleeful night.

I don't know how he can always be here for me if he's dead. Bodies are six feet under and there's no heaven or afterlife to look forward to. Maybe the universe preserves spirits or reincarnations happen? I'm not sure, but I know it won't be the same to look at a star and pretend it's my dad.

"I bought you something," he tells me.

"Why?" I sit up in confusion as he reaches to his side and grabs a box that surely Mom helped him lift.

"Because you're my daughter," he holds it out for me as his hands shake weakly.

I take it out of his grasp and unwrap the paper around the box.