1.7.0

Chapter Eight: Escape

"Please don't let them look through the curtains. D-O-L-L-H-O-U-S-E. I see things that nobody else sees."

~Dollhouse by Melanie Martinez~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 4, 2022

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I wake up the next morning in Eli's, well, Hawk's guest bedroom with a content smile on my face. Last night was wonderful and I don't think anything can break my mood. I'm so happy.

To make it even better, I smell something delicious from downstairs: cinnamon rolls. I haven't had a cinnamon roll since I stayed at Katie and Brian's house. I roll out of bed, put my messy hair up, and grab some things to shower.

I know this happy, normal life won't last forever, but I have to make the warm water and comfy beds and non-abusive lifestyle last. I go to the shower and wash up very quickly.

Then, I go back into my room and change. I head downstairs to see Hawk at the table with his hair already gelled up nicely. The mohawk shows off his side profile that he's been hiding.

"Good morning," I say.

"Morning," he smirks when he sees me.

I sit at the table across from him, grabbing a cinnamon roll.

"Good morning, Zion," his mom walks in from the kitchen with some milk and orange juice.

She wasn't thrilled with the mohawk, but she knows it makes her son happy and that's what matters. Still, you can sense a little tension. She knew about the mohawk before last night, but she was very upset at us for coming in so late; however, she still gives me a place to sleep and I'm very grateful.

"Morning, Mrs. Moskowitz," I say.

"I have to go to work again. Have a good day, you two. Love you, Eli," she goes over to him.

He cringes at the name and when she goes to kiss his head, he recoils. She looks at him for a moment, surprised at his attitude. He looks at me and I nod as if to say that it's all right. He then turns back to her as she settles for a hug and whispers into her ear. Then, she runs out the door and I give Hawk a smile.

"You don't need to be embarrassed around me," I reach across the table and place my hand on his.

"I'm not embarrassed," he says defensively.

"Oh yeah? Is that why you were turning bright red?" I ask and he stands up, challenging me.

"You want to go, Z?" he asks from the other side of the table.

"All right, Hawk," I step away from the table and circle opposite of Hawk.

He runs at me and I give a good swing his way, purposely missing. Then, I take my leg back and trip him. He falls back on the hardwoods and groans.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I say and reach out to help him up.

"No, it's fine. We should stop," he accepts my hand. "I don't want anything broken for my mom to find. We can't have her thinking you're influencing me, can we?"

"Hm," I move closer to him, "you say that like it's a bad thing."

He holds me by my waist and kisses me lightly. He looks at me like I'm something special; I look at him because he is special. He's taking control of his life and it's inspiring.