1.7.5

Chapter Nine: Strike First

"'Cause babe, I promise, I promise, if you keep it real with me, be honest, be honest, you can get anything you want."

~Be My Baby by Ariana Grande ft. Cashmere Cat~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 4, 2022

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I wake up the next morning feeling like shit. I look at the clock: noon already. My eyes are crusty from crying myself to sleep. I try to wipe that away as I sit up.

I'm at Hawk's house after I made a fool of myself. I made a fool of myself in front of my... crush.

I'm in a hoodie and short-shorts and I walk downstairs. I need food, but nobody's here except a bowl of fruit. I take an orange, peel it, and eat it as I sniff back the tears that want to develop. I don't even feel like crying.

"Hey," a voice says behind me timidly, as if not to scare me.

I keep my back turned to Hawk, embarrassed, "Hi."

"Are you... How are you?" he asks me. There's a gentle quality to his voice.

"I've been better," I say.

"I'm sorry," he says and I turn to him.

"I'm the one who's sorry. I'm sorry about last night," I say.

"Hey, it was my idea to even go, and it's okay to feel things. I think we would all act like that if that happened with our mom," he says and a tear rolls down my cheek.

Knowing he won't be the first to touch me again after I recoiled in fear last night, I make the first move and go over to wrap myself in a hug. I need it so badly, I don't even care that I look pitiful.

His arms wrap around my figure, holding me steady and the comfort makes me feel safe again.

"You know," I look up at him after a moment, "you're really good at this comforting thing."

"Well, I've been where you are and I know how you feel.," he says.

Right, he was bullied for his lip scar and that really does something to a person.

"Don't feel sorry for me, Z. I'm okay. I flipped the script and I'm improving myself."

"I need to flip the script even more," I wipe my tears.

"Well, today is Saturday. We could have a chill day," he suggests.

"Or... Can we dye my hair, too?

⭒⭒⭒

We've been hanging out all day. The dye is almost ready to wash out and I think the bleach lifted my dark hair well. I've always wanted colorful hair, but my mom always said no. Well, fuck her because this makes me happy.

Demetri texted the group chat earlier to ask if we wanted to go out to lunch as a group, but Hawk and I decided it's good for it to be just the two of us. I think maybe I can finally make a move.

I hop out of the shower and blow dry the newly purple hair. I've shunned Hawk from looking until it's styled.

When it's finally dry and brushed out, I pose in front of the mirror and take in the vibrant color.