3.2.5

Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Hansens

"I wish you knew that I'd never forget you as long as I'd live. And I wish you were right here, right now."

~I Wish You Would by Taylor Swift~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 25, 2022

Warnings: abuse, anxiety, biphobia/homophobia, depression, domestic violence, slight eating disorder, language, panic attacks, sexual harassment/assault, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I finish on the treadmill and go to grab my water. I'm sweaty, but it was worth it. I need to be in peak physical condition for anything life throws at me.

I drink the water like I need it to survive and then take a few breaths to calm my heart rate. Working out gives me the adrenaline I miss from fighting all the time. Sensei Kreese has just been having us practice our punches and kicks recently without any physical contact with others. I want to get back to sparring, but I guess that's all in due time. 

I walk to the showers and get ready for the school day. 

Once I'm done with hair and makeup and getting dressed, I walk out and head towards the exit. I feel great after a shower.

"Damnit," a guy on his phone says in frustration as I pass by to get to the door. 

"Um, excuse me," I push past the side of him slightly.

"I'm sorry," he says apologetically and completely moves out of my way.

"Z!" a voice squeals and I spin around to see the little girl from the day before running towards me.

"Oh, hi," I say as she stops in front of me and catches her breath. 

"Hi!" she says. "Daddy, it's the pretty girl from yesterday."

I blush at the cute compliment and see her looking up at the man beside of me and I realize it is, indeed, the same man. 

"That's very nice, sweet pea, but I have to find someone to babysit you tonight, so just hold on," the man goes back to his phone.

"What about her?" Ella smiles brightly as she grabs my hand and I stand in shock.

"What?" the man turns to me, his beautiful blue eyes looking between me and his daughter. "Ella, we barely know her-"

"Her name is Z!" she corrects her dad.

He sighs, "I don't think-" 

"Please, please, please, PLEEZUH," she grabs onto his arm and shakes it.

He slowly cracks a smile and turns to me, "Would you be wiling to babysit tonight? I'm in a bind to find a sitter because it's such short notice."

"Say yes! Say yes!" Ella says and I wonder why in the world she chose me.

"I mean... I..." I think about my day and realize I only have work this afternoon since karate isn't today. Plus, I could use the extra money. "I have to work this afternoon. What time?"

"Eight?" he asks.

I nod, thinking of my work schedule.  "I get done at seven."

"Then that works out well, if you're okay with that?" he asks.